Factory Five Racing Forum banner
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,476 Posts
Leave the outer panel off of the driver footbox for as long as you possibly can. It will make a lot of stuff a lot easier to access.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, I recently purchased a MK2 Base Kit that that was never put together. It also came with a few extras. The previous owner purchased a 80K mile 89 GT and generously included all the parts with the kit. I will be documenting my build here. I would appreciate any input good or bad. The plan is to use the 89 GT parts after I freshen up/rebuild them.

Thank you, Rafael

View attachment 359862
Hello, I recently purchased a MK2 Base Kit that that was never put together. It also came with a few extras. The previous owner purchased a 80K mile 89 GT and generously included all the parts with the kit. I will be documenting my build here. I would appreciate any input good or bad. The plan is to use the 89 GT parts after I freshen up/rebuild them.

Thank you, Rafael

View attachment 359862
Welcome to the family. I've had two (2) MKIIs. The first came from Florida and the second from Georgia. Both were beautiful looking, and both were plagued with electrical issues. Having rewired both, my advice is to take your time with everything and measure 3 times before cutting, splicing, or soldering anything. Lay your wiring harness out and think the installation through before committing to it. Having everything work is the primary goal, but making your installation look like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing is equally important. I strongly recommend several things when it comes to your electrical system. Solder connections when ever feasible. Use uninsulated metal in-line crimp sleeves, instead of the cheaper, bulkier crimp sleeves that are insulated with plastic. The uninsulated metal in-line sleeves are less likely to come apart over time, and they can easily be insulated with appropriately sized heat shrink. If you plan to add conventional styled turn signals on your steering column, and 4-way hazard flashers, installing diodes on the control feeds will prevent current feedback and associated problems with getting both your turn signals and hazard flashers working correctly. Upgrade all your lamps to LED and be sure to upgrade the flasher units to ones that are LED compatible. Wrap every wire bundle and individual wires, once they break out of the bundle, with good, high quality braided, self wrapping wire loom, and use water proof connectors where ever possible. The first time you get caught in the rain, you'll thank me.

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Welcome to the family. I've had two (2) MKIIs. The first came from Florida and the second from Georgia. Both were beautiful looking, and both were plagued with electrical issues. Having rewired both, my advice is to take your time with everything and measure 3 times before cutting, splicing, or soldering anything. Lay your wiring harness out and think the installation through before committing to it. Having everything work is the primary goal, but making your installation look like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing is equally important. I strongly recommend several things when it comes to your electrical system. Solder connections when ever feasible. Use uninsulated metal in-line crimp sleeves, instead of the cheaper, bulkier crimp sleeves that are insulated with plastic. The uninsulated metal in-line sleeves are less likely to come apart over time, and they can easily be insulated with appropriately sized heat shrink. If you plan to add conventional styled turn signals on your steering column, and 4-way hazard flashers, installing diodes on the control feeds will prevent current feedback and associated problems with getting both your turn signals and hazard flashers working correctly. Upgrade all your lamps to LED and be sure to upgrade the flasher units to ones that are LED compatible. Wrap every wire bundle and individual wires, once they break out of the bundle, with good, high quality braided, self wrapping wire loom, and use water proof connectors where ever possible. The first time you get caught in the rain, you'll thank me.
Thanks for the advice. :)
I have a FOMOCO harness for the engine and a Mustang Medic chassis harness. I am also a ASE Certified in electrical.

I am very comfortable with electrical. That said this is my first cobra build and any and all advice is more than welcome. I especially like to hear what works and what does not. I have had to back track a couple of time because I did some thing out of sequence or just plain wrong. :)

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
So I've spent the last couple off weeks working on the Aluminum panels and finally have it to a point where I can spray the Lizard skin. Unfortunately the weather is not cooperating so I
have to wait for it to warm up before i can spray it.

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Finished up with the Lizard Skin kit this weekend. Ready to start doing the plumbing and wiring but I am not sure if I should do the WS wipers and Heater first.

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I have spent the last 3 days doing some plumbing. Yesterday I finished the brake lines. Today I ran the fuel lines from the tank to the passenger's foot box. I have to wait to finish them once the engine is in place. I am missing one quick connect and had to order it but I think they came out great.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
My plan is to start running the chassis wiring tomorrow. I have a Mustang Medic chassis harness and the engine management is done by a Mustang GT ECM using FOMOCO stand alone harness. Any advice on routing, dos and don'ts are welcome. Thanks a bunch, Rafael

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
I mocked up my dash. It is going to be a very simple and clean design. The right bottom is the radio. The three push buttons underneath are start, brights and hazard. The multifunction switch I’m holding will have lights blinker and horn. It will be mounted under the dash in an easy to reach location.

·
Junior Charter Member
854 Posts
I like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
I am very exited to announce a huge step for me. We put the engine and transmission in the car this weekend!!!!

On another note I have been taking to someone about adding spinners to my wheels. He seems to think we can machine the center for the 84 corvette spinners to press fit in the center.

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
I have been working of the dash harness At the moment I have all the gauges wired in to a plug and play molex connector. I have 3 pushbuttons switches in working on right now but I think I am going to wait on those

·
Junior Charter Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 · (Edited)
A friend who works at a machine shop came over and we devised a way to attach spinners to the wheels. He is going to make a ring that goes over the center and captures the Spinner. It will have holes for the lug nuts and screw into the wheels. Here is a quick sketch I made of the spinner Retainer and a few shot we took just having some fun.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts