Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently purchased a MK2 Base Kit that that was never put together. It also came with a few extras. The previous owner purchased a 80K mile 89 GT and generously included all the parts with the kit. I will be documenting my build here. I would appreciate any input good or bad. The plan is to use the 89 GT parts after I freshen up/rebuild them.

Thank you, Rafael

·
Junior Charter Member
662 Posts
Awesome!
A MK2 that was never built, what a find!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2007 Calendar Cover Car
2,732 Posts
Very cool! Welcome fellow MKII owner. Mine was an 87 donor build. Makes me smile to see that gray body!

·
Official OLD GUY
3,811 Posts
Welcome to the MK-II group of owners. I'm sure you'll have many questions, ask away, we're here to help . . .

Doc

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Charter Member
1,010 Posts
That's like finding a new 2000 model car with zero miles! I wouldn't have thought it possible. I just completed a body off rebuild of my MK2 18 years after my first build. We're all here to help if you need some information to make progress. Who knows we probably have some spare parts lying around as well.

Robert

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Robert,
I was actually thinking of a ISO thread in the parts section but i'm not sure what I need yet. Any extra parts parts could be helpful.I have the kit, suspension,wiring, and engine from the donor. I'm not sure what else I will need or want to upgrade. Please let me know what you have.
Thanks, Rafael

·
Charter Member
1,010 Posts
Are you going EFI or carb? I have 2 carbs no longer needed from previous engines, a warmed up 302 and a 408 Winsor. My engine builder want to go with a specific carb for the 408 I now have. Also have a spare fuel pump, some aluminum heads that will need to be refreshed, aftermarket donor radiator... that's all I recall off the top of my head.

If you don't have it with your kit I'd consider calling FFR to see if they have a 3-link kit for a MK2.

For now you'll mostly focus on the build though. The first thing I did after inventory was to paint all the frame, rear end, lower control arms, etc with POR15. I'm sure glad I did. If done well it's almost as good as powder coating. I have to use a grinder on it if I want to weld or drill into the frame.

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The kit actually came with the 3-link :) I was planning on using the 5.0 HO as is for now. I did the math and the power to weight ratio on a stock 5.0 is not too bad. However I am a hot rodder and more power is always welcome. A warmed up 302 engine at the right price could be a good thing. :0)

·
Registered
43 Posts
You are in for a really great basic build experience! I have a Mk 1.5 with a 1991 vintage donor. Engine is stock and pulls strong as you would expect with only 2,200#, enough to get you in trouble. The best thing about these cars, besides the fun driving, is that they always need something worked on even though they usually don’t. They are never finished! Enjoy!

·
Junior Charter Member
662 Posts
Stock 302HO is a great engine for these cars.

My car is basically stock ‘87 mustang and it’s a blast!

Remember that a new stock foxbody mustang weighed ONE THOUSAND pounds more than a factory five! And those cars were not slow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
If you still have a 2G alternator, I would just replace it now with the 3G. Those old 2Gs do now work well at idle and with that silly single bearing design, they fail. I would just upgrade to a 3G while you have the engine out.

·
Junior Charter Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you still have a 2G alternator, I would just replace it now with the 3G. Those old 2Gs do now work well at idle and with that silly single bearing design, they fail. I would just upgrade to a 3G while you have the engine out.
I have a 200 amp alternator and plan on powering my powe streering with a Volvo electric pump. :)

·
1,066 Posts
Awesome find. I will be following your progress. I have another wire harness if you need it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Another 302 lover here :) This one from a 90 Mustang GT. rebuilt producing 345 HP..Dependable,reliable,always starts,always runs cool...........LOVE IT !!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts