Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of our bodywork experts thought about putting together a video on how to prep an FFR for paint.

I'm sure there would be a market for a video like this, and with DVD writers out there now, reproduction costs would be low.

I'm starting the prep of the body now, and am a bit clueless on what to do...but my budget won't allow me to just ship the body off to someone to get it done.

I've read the stuff in the FFR faq, but a 'moving' picture would be so helpful with this stage.

Anyone got something like this made?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Dan, you need to talk to Richard Oben, North Racecars, one of the forum vendors, all around great guy and bodywork video empresario extraordinaire. Whew. He's here: Oben Addy

Are you thinking about doing that puppy yourself? Lot of local guys with helpful ideas, might want to check on our local email list, too. See ya!

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
definately won't paint it myself. I don't even want to do the final sanding and shaping....but I need to at least get it started so I can save some money.

I thought that if I did some of the initial prep work, that would save the body shop time...and time is money.

Any local guys want to take a drive down to Weston and give me soome tips?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You might do some searching here. Last I remember, SRP and Batboy both noted that they REALLY didn't want to paint a car where someone else did the body work, due to liability issues with the quality of the body work.

All the best,
Tag

·
Registered
2,048 Posts

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice Luis...but not for me. I don't believe in exercise.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
I agree with Tag...I think most painters would not want to spray a car that someone else prepped (especially a beginer). I think the prepping is actually the hardest part?? I have never done body work so I have no idea where to start.

I have a very good friend (known him for over 20 years) who owns a body shop here in Miami. He's done the paint for all my other projects and is going to drop by my house and give me an idea on cost to do my MKIII.

I mentioned to him that maybe I could do some of the prep work...he wouldn't hear it. Something about me making more work for him

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Im with you Dan, i wish there was an updated video out there. SRP has talked about doing one, but just ahsnt had the time yet.

Start asking around and there is probably someone who works at a body shop that would want to make a couple bucks on the side to either guide you or just spray it for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.