Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen zMAX advertised for years and remember seeing C.S. hawking it on a commercial as well. I was watching a couple car shows today on the Velocity channel and saw them advertising it on there too.
Just wandering, is it helpful to a slightly modified 302, or just flushing money down the drain?

Snake Oil?? :evil:
Increase Mileage, Reduce Emissions, Extend Engine Life, Improve Performance
zMAX Corporation

Epinions says: Average Rating: Very Good
Epinions: zMAX Micro Lubricant
( a lot of 5 star ratings)

Ha, just saw another commercial while I was typing this for another additive called "Power Curve". Looks even better!

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,619 Posts
Take a look at the MSDS. >99% Mineral oil. Maybe if you also use the fuel line magnets :)

Greg

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
I think it's snake oil. I used to work for a dealer owned by the company Bruton Smith started so every 12-18 months there would be a big push to sell their products. What decided me was when I was handed a quart bottle of the stuff and the instructions on the label said to put x ounces in the engine, y ounces in the auto trans, and z ounces in the gas tank. Yeah, one liquid is the greatest thing since sliced bread for three different components, right!

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
What decided me was when I was handed a quart bottle of the stuff and the instructions on the label said to put x ounces in the engine, y ounces in the auto trans, and z ounces in the gas tank. Yeah, one liquid is the greatest thing since sliced bread for three different components, right!
I agree. I know they can do some amazing things with chemicals, but one chemical that does it all sounds like BS to me.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My father was a mechanic for some 50 plus years - he always said "never use any additives in your fluids, if they were needed the oil and gas people would put them in their products."

I have followed his advice for years and have never had any problems with my cars.

Roy from Springboro

·
28,619 Posts
I agree with that with one exception. API service class SM and SN oils are very low in ZDDP (zinc and phosphorus) which can prevent cam and lifter wear in flat tappet engines. I believe they are limited to 600 ppm and 800 ppm respectively. API SD - SG oil has 1200 ppm and 1500 ppm. The reason it's limited is to protect the catalytic converters. Most cars run roller cams so lower levels of ZDDP are acceptable.

Anyway I add ZDDP to Castrol for the TR6. Just in case.....

Greg

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I always figured this was "Slick 50" for the new millenium... :)

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts

·
Master of my Build
2,045 Posts
What happened the original do all product - Marvel Mystery Oil. (since 1923)

I had a diesel Rabbit and the guy I bought it from would swear by this stuff, said to put it in with every oil change and when you fill the tank. :sad:

·
28,619 Posts
It's still around and used to free up siezed engines from barn finds. Brithish car guys add it to the gas.

Greg

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Some additives do seem to be useful.

Water wetter, fuel injector cleaner, friction modifier ... :)

The only thing I have ever put in my oil was about a half of quart of lucas oil stabilizer on engines where low oil pressure was starting to become an issue. Seems to provide a little more life before a rebuild or spun bearing.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I agree that most additives are either snake oil or a last ditch effort. The ones that you are supposed to use everywhere every time are snake oil.

Marvel Mystery Oil can free a stuck lifter. Last ditch.
ZDDP additive makes sense on an older car. Some diesel oils still have it.

Now the fuel line magnets and the intake vortex thing.......make sure you get those. They go great with the electric supercharger.

My plan is to use every fuel saving device and additive that I can. I figure that once a week I will have to siphon fuel off because my car will actually make it.

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Is a decent salad dressing too

No, it's a floor polish! :001_tongue:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.