Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm just a few days into my build and I had my IRS center section all cleaned up and repainted and wanted to get it mounted last night.

The manual says to put it up through the bottom of the cage and makes it sound pretty straight forward. I looked at mine and thought "this is gonna suck". It took me about 3-1/2 hours.

Why? Well, I have never rebuilt an IRS center section before and I assumed that the "axles" (the female part of the inner CV joint) are held in the center section by C clips just like all the solid axles I have done. Since the diff cover bolts to the frame I figured it had to go in with the axles in place, otherwise you couldn't open it up to re-assemble it once installed....that sound you hear is all the IRS owners laughing their asses off at the idea of me wrestling that 100+ pound monster in place with two huge ears hanging off each side.

After that experience I'm thinking "I can not BELIEVE that I haven't seen two dozen threads of people screaming about what a PIA that is!" So I do a quick search this morning and stumble on a few pics of other peoples center sections sitting in the cage with no axles...WTF?? So, a quick google search for disassembly instructions tells me that there are NO C CLIPS in the IRS center section (because there are no forces pulling outward on the axles like there are in a solid axle rear end)....they are held in by a spring clip and can be easily removed....

Go ahead and laugh, I know *I* am...well, I am now....last night I was definitely NOT laughing

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
We've All done stupid stuff! Some of us are just smart enough to not tell anybody
Anyway thanx for the story I needed a laugh today!
Tony

·
Expert in Training
390 Posts
I've got a few of those kinds of things already in my build experience... all of which have been selectively EXCLUDED from my build notes... LOL

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Thanks for sharing your "Doh!" We all have done many things similar. Hopefully it will be your worst one, as others may also crop up. (did to me) Pete

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Personally, I'm just seriously impressed you got it in at all with the stub axles attached. You must one stubborn dude to keep at it until it went in. ;) ;)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
All of us make dumb mistakes. If it didn't cost you any money, or require a trip to the ER count yourself lucky!

With all the knowledge from my dumb mistakes I figure the next FFR will go together a lot easier.

·
1,569 Posts
BTW - you throw those axles away and use the ones supplied by FFR. Your work to swap them has just begun...

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jester - Yup, I already have the CV joints swapped, what I had left in the diff was the outer sleeve that the CV joint slides into.

Don - Oh yeah, I certainly was...but I'm glad I found out the truth on my own, it would have been even MORE embarrassing to go off on a tirade only to have someone else point out what an idiot I was! LoL

Oh well, I always say if you can't laugh at yourself then you're taking things too seriously.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,613 Posts
So at the next FFR gathering when someone asks..."Is anyone here stupid enough to try and install an IRS with the axles installed?"......you won't have to raise your hand because now you're not.

Thanks for sharing the story, we've all done similar and likely will again. And you've proved to us again the value of the Archives. Glad you're making progress.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
You call that stupid? What you did was truly amazing. I think by putting the coconut in with axles in 3 1/2 hours is some kind of record.
Just getting it in is something.
This sounds like something I would do, work at then read directions after.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Be glad you didn't have to install the spring perches for the four link. It makes your experience sound EASY!

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a few snapshots for those that were asking

Then I did some control arm installation and put the spindle on. It's not tightened down since I'm waiting for new wheel bearings and my hubs are at the machinist getting the new bolt pattern drilled

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Don't feel too bad.
I did something I'm not too proud of admitting.

I was on the final drilling of both driver and passenger side roll bars before the body went out for paint; this is the upper part of the 3rd leg. And it was about 1:00AM... got both drilled and both bolts went in perfectly.

Tightened them down... looked good to me and left it; brough the whole thing down to SRP. Unbolted them so he could remove the body...that was around June of 2006.

A few months later, I got the body back on. As I was putting the bars back on, it FINALLY hit me... I drilled the holes in the wrong spot... about 1" above the seam - roll bar side instead of the 3rd leg side - DOH!

Since I'm undecided on what to eventually do with the roll bars (chrome, go stainless, stay black powdercoat and/or another color), I'm going to simply plug the holes, drill the CORRECT holes in and chalk it up to experience.

·
1,569 Posts
You are going to have to assemble the new axle assemblies/cv's out of the car, install them in the pumpkin and then into the rear spindles. I see more disassembly in your future.

If you haven't done so already, go to the FAQ's and print off the IRS assembly doc. It will save you more frustration.

·
Runs with scissors!
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the story, 289, you may have saved me and others from making that mistake.

Jester, the spindle bolts are just hand tight as I realize they will have to come back out to press in the bearings/hubs and install the new axle assemblies. I just couldn't resist mocking it up to take some pics!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts