Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You need to replace the LCA's....I know ....most of you have opted for the new ball joints....But I've got to say that by the time you go through the motions of disassembly of the steering, etc, only four more bolts will remove the whole LCA...And for $185 ($15 shipping) , from Racer Walsh , you have the comfort of knowing that the new joints ...AIN'T GOING TO COME APART at speed...This can put a world of hurt on you...
Check with Ford...Check with Chilton ...Check with Haynes...They tell you not to do it.
One more thing...My steering response has improved tremendously!...Just my 02Cents. :D

·
6,332 Posts
This is good advice from Mr Barry, if for no other reason from a cost standpoint. By the time I replaced the ball joints and the bushings I could have gotten brand new LCA's from 5 Star Ford in Phoenix for LESS $$$. If you're going pallet or no donor, don't even bother with the junk yard stuff unless it's in primo condition.
Frank

·
Charter Member
132 Posts
I also went through the same decision process, but decided to go ahead and rebuild my lower control arms. In case anybody else is doing the same, I bought Prothane poly bushings for $24.39 a set from Summit (Part No. PTP-6-205-BL). Most other places wanted anwhere from $40 to $60 a set.

I spent a couple of hours torching out the old bushings and replace with new, but overall I'm happy with the result. I think the FMS arms have rubber bushings also. Now I just need to decide if I should change the Ball Joints as well.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The recent accident of our Cobra "brother" scared the bejeebies out of me...I drive mountain roads , and take some high-G turns.....It never dawned on me to check the donor ball joints (didn't even know how , but I do now!) . The new arms were relatively easy to install especially with a BFH ,and the result is more confidence..... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts