Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You'd think I'd learn after the engine spray episode last week; the final result: just tightne the damn hose clamp!

Well yesterday while taking family members for a spin during the family gathering and BBQ, I got on the throttle and suddenly, I feel a spary of water on my legs!!!!

After doing the rounds, I found stains on the passgener side carpet as well. I know it's coming from the heater and wouldn't you know it, I just have to tighten the clamps some more!

That was it; I spent another 10 mintes and tightened every hose clamp in sight; many were not as tight as when I first clamped them back in September of 06'.

I guess this is something some newbies should take note of: after running the engine and heat cycling your coolig lines for say 500 or 1000 miles, you may want to go back and retighten all of your hose clamps.

So far today, nothing from the cooling system leaked.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,708 Posts
I've had that happen too. The hose seams to shrink under the clamp.makes me think those spring type clamps the car manufacturers use aren't such a bad idea after all.PS beautiful car and daughter(your posts were right under one another).

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
We do this on every car we work on , run it , burp it ,ride it tighten the clamps Bob

·
Junior Charter Member
134 Posts
Don't think your done with it after a few heat cycles either. I just had to retighten everything again and I have been on the road for 3 years now. I wonder what the secret is for the OEM cars?

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing a few things:

1) those spring clamps; essentially, they self-adjust.

2) over torque. At least that's my suspsions. :D
Actually, I wonder if there IS a torque setting to these hose clamps???

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
A friend of mine was a mechanic for 20 years, and he swears by the OEM spring type clamps, and claims the worm type we use are junk.

·
Uber-Geek
1,606 Posts
One thing that helps with this issue: Silicone Hoses - they don't shrink like rubber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts