Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the FFR front tubular LCA's last night and am not positive I did it correctly. There are no spacers in the front. The fit was pretty good. There is a spacer on the passenger side, but none on the drivers side. The ears on the drivers side were 1/8" closer than on the passenger side. The LCA moves up and down, but is not smooth. I greased the fittings, but it didn't seem to help. Should the bushings rotate with the movement of the LCA? Mine don't.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The inner sleeve is supposed to be locked into place by the mounting ears, but the ears must remain parallel. If one side of yours is 1/8" closer, it's quite possible that you won't need a spacer there. The poly bushing should rotate around the sleeve.

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The bushings should rotate with the LCA but they don't on my Cobra, and they don't on my Coupe, and I've heard others say the same.

I talked to FFR, they said don't worry about it.
I talked to Gordon Levy, he said don't worry about it.
So, after much reflection, I've decided not to worry about it..... for now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you grease the LCA, where does the grease go? I assumed it got to the slots in the bushing that are next to the inner sleeve. Does the grease get anywhere near the outside diameter of the bushing? If the grease gets there, I don't care if the bushing rotates or not.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Steve, Mine was delivered just before your
car and I have the same situation,Passenger sidde took 1 washer and driver side was a prefect fit that did not need any thing at all. FF says not to worry.

GENE

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gene - Do your bushings rotate? How stiff does the LCA move?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Blackfish,
the bushings do not rotate, and the stillness is
so the arms need my slight help to move. They will
stay up by themselvs but do go down with a finger push.

GENE

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,722 Posts
Gene -Yours sound about perfect. They will loosen up a bit when worn in and you don't want them too loose.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine are a lot stiffer than that. You really have to use some muscle to move them, and they don't move smoothly. I torqued mine to 130lbs which is halfway between the recommended 110 - 150 lbs. How tight did you make yours?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Steve if when the bolts are tight. The inner sleeve is what rotates,fine. If the outer rubber bushing rotates. you need to add the washer/spacer. What happens is when you tighten the bolts. The ears pull in and pinch the outer bushing instead of the inner metal bushing. The washers/spacers keep this from happening. These cars have firm suspension. Takeing the time to be sure the lca rorate easily pay off.

·
514 Posts
Blackfish,

I have the same problem. I not really sure if I'm going to accept the situation or not. Everyone says to not worry about, and probably will not cause any problems, but the LCA's are not suppose to work that way and they shouldn't. The LCA's take a bit of force to move, unfortunately. I find the whole FFR LCA experience very frustrating. Parts should work for that kind of money.

The washers were something else I could not accept, so I bought the right tubing and cut my own sleeves. That way I could custom fit the sleeves to each set of tabs and eliminate the washers/spacers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts