Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting the center rod for the windshield, anyone know the make, model, and yaer of the MG that fits??

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Finishline (vendor) sells them. Look under the "FFR" category - around $30-$35. I was thinking about one too. I think they also sell a mirror that clamps to the rod. That would be nice.

·
Charter Member
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a MG catolog and they are less so I am trying to get the right year.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
Even more important is to get the right screw LENGTH when installing this rod. Why our vendors don't supply screws with this part doesn't make any sense.

My suggestion for this install would be to:
- mark the two holes you need to drill on the winshield frame first then remove the glass winshield from the frame
- drill the two holes
- use an extra screw (of the same size as you plan to install) to tap the winshield frame (it's chrome plated brass and taps easily)
- tighten the screws down and feel inside the frame to see if the screw protrudes inside the frame area
- if the screw is too long, grind it down until it fits flush inside the windshield frame
- reassemble everything

If you don't do the above, you risk cracking a brand new $300 Cobra winshield. Don't ask how I know this...

But, if you don't follow the above suggestions and end up cracking your winshield I recommend "Wurf" here on the forum who sells Lexan sheets than can be cut to size to fit in the winshield frame. Incredibly strong and shatter resistant...at 1/3 the cost of glass!

Also, I have the rear view mirror mounted to this rod. It does not shake and images do not appear blurry. The adjustable height of the mirror is nice too. One less set of holes to drill in the body.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - Don't bother trying to locate the MG year...just order it from FinishLine and be done with it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts