Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Cobra Nutcase
1,633 Posts
When I first clicked on this link it asked me for a username and password to www.weendoggy.com...I'm guessing that had something to do with your avatar, because it isn't showing up.

Anyway, I don't know too much about the differences in the two, but I do know PS2 will play DVD's and PS2 seems to have a lot more games to choose from.

Rob

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
Ditto.

Bill S.

PS: My son prefers the PS2, although, the PS3 is due out in May of 06, it was on his list for the holidays :D ....

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
my wife works at the local "best buy" and knows alot more than I do anymore when it comes to new electronics & stuff.

We had a pretty bad snow here yesterday so I drove her to work this morning at 5 am.

There were people who had pitched tents in front of the freaking store and spent the night there in front of the place!
I asked her what that was all about, and she said 99 percent of them are after the new xbox 360.

I'm not a gamer, so I dunno,,,,but according to her it is the one everyone wants.
She mentioned something about the games that they all want but I forget the name. It was some shoot 'em up war game I think.

·
Trenchant
2,692 Posts
Xbox360, no question. You probably will have trouble finding one but it is far and away the best. Between PS2 and Xbox (old version) I would take the Xbox. Xbox live online play is fantastic and really adds to the value of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if PS3 will not come out until fall '06. They've been hinting Spring but many analysts think that is to get people to hold off buying a 360. The analysts think Sony is not far enough along to get the PS3 out by spring.

·
Registered
312 Posts
IMO xbox 360 was rushed. They're having cooling problems and there was (last I heard) a lawsuit stating it was a known product defect and that MS released it anyways. If it was up to original xbox and ps2....I could give you arguments for both. The big war game on xbox (Halo and Halo 2) are GREAT first-person shooters, ps2 does have the greater selection of games overall, but it doesn't have Halo or a couple other select items.

A couple things the xbox doesn't have that the ps2 does is the Gran Turismo series. Far and away one of the best racing sims.

I'd say your best bet is to find out what kind of games this young person likes and then look at the selection.

Good luck.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,520 Posts
How young is the person you are buying it for? My wife and I are very sensative about making sure that my son only plays age appropriate games. There is a much grater selection for younger kids on Playstation. Most XBOX games are T or above.

Tom

·
Charter Member
789 Posts
for younger kids, I would go Nintendo Gamecube... most of the best games on that system squew pretty young, unlike both the PS2/X-box (or 360) where the best titles are simply not appropriate for younger kids...

if your buying for yourself or older kids the 360 is the best way to go, mostly for the future-proofness... that, and experts predict that Microsoft will begine to make big inroads on Sony with the launch of the 360...

·
Trenchant
2,692 Posts
Now that I know the ages I have to agree that Gamecube is the one.

As for the 360 having problems, mine has frozen up three times.

But Call of Duty 2 is so absolutely fantastic, especially on a 65" tv with an awesome surround sound system I just can't believe it. It rocks and my ever patient wife just sits there and does the crossword next to me. Oh, and I'm 39 and not ashamed.

·
Charter Member
1,730 Posts
If your criteria is driving games with a real Force-feedback steering wheel like you get at the arcades, get the ps2. I have an Xbox and a PS2 and they each have their forte'. Sony has the lock on driving games because of the wheel. And when the ps3 comes out, you can use the wheel for that system too. -John

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
Gamecube for that age.

We have an X-Box and my neice has the Gamecube. She is 17 and my kids are 11 and 9. The Gamecube is always at our house and the X-Box is always at my neice's.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
We have a PS2 and the kids (5 and 9) play Shrek, star wars and early Tony Hawk Proskater (early ones are rated E) and of course GT4. We also use it as our only home DVD player and since our 20 year old CD player has been on the fritz, we've been using it as a CD player.

You can play PS1 games and pick them up for $5 to $10 new and even less for used ones.

·
557 Posts
I am a gamer have been for a long time now, and for that age I would go gamecube. Its cheep and the games are more targeted at their age group. The kids will pick which system they would rather have when they get older any how.

The PS2 is a good system lots of games, and now that first gens are long gone you don't have to worrie about them dieing on you. The xbox 360 is the top of the line and costs a bunch. As far as them breaking down...3% of the units are bad. Thats below the industry standard. No one likes Microsoft these days.

Well I was a gamer then I started building a Cobra, now I'm cold, broke, and about 1/2 way to happy.

·
Builder of FFR#5197
1,404 Posts
I've played a few games and I prefer to stick with my PS2 for now. I've just got a problem with spending so much money. So, I installed a hard drive using the network adaptor, bought HDLoader and have saved 38 games on it that I like to play. This allows me to "load games faster" if you know what I mean.
That being said I played the demo of the 360 last week and I'm thoroughly impressed with the graphics and high def. Just costs too much. I do have a car to build after all.

·
1,569 Posts
With the gamecube, you can get an adapter to play all your gameboy cartridge games in it. If they have gameboys, go gamecube and an adapter.

·
Junior Charter Member
104 Posts
As an avid gamer, I would agree that the cube is the best bet for that age group.

That being said, there are ways to back up xbox games to the internal hard drive so the kids dont have the opportunity to scratch a $50 game disk. Definitely a plus there. Also look for a game called Fusion Frenzy. Even my 5 yr old has fun with that one.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,384 Posts
the gamecube is good and i would agree targeted for younger kids, but in short order the kids always want to start playing some of the "cooler" games they hear their friends are playing.

i'd say get a PS2 for now. it seems to have the most games available for both younger and older kids. it'll give you some growing room.

Xbox is for older kids (Teenagers), and the new Xbox 360 i think is young-adult oriented IMO...and besides they only have a limited number of game that you can buy right now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts