Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your responses to my eariler post have convinced me to stay with my 195 thermostat. In order to knock down some of the engine compartment heat has anyone tried wrapping their headers & j-pipe with insulating heat wrap? How effective is it? Any premature exhaust gasket or header problems with wrapping the exhaust system?

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Senior Charter Member
1,387 Posts
Glenn,

I wouldn't do it. The heat retention can/will/may (depending on who you talk to) cause the metal to fatigue and fail. Ceramic coating is a good option.

Mark

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Agree with Mark,

I've heard of many stories of premature corrosion and metal fatigue because of header wrap usage. One person did mention that they wrapped ceramic coated headers and they had no problem.

Hood louvers would probably help a lot in your case (being in the Texas heat) but finding a set that looks good and can be installed on a finished car is not easy.

·
715 Posts
I agree with Mark also. I had some of that stuff on some headers once and the metal fatigued and they cracked. If the heat is getting to the cockpit, try some shielding on the footboxes. .02

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
GlennC,
My headers and "J" pipe were wrapped. Headers went (cracked all over) but not the "J" pipe. Now I have ceramic coated headers but I still get a lot more heat in the cockpit than I did before.
Take care,
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts