Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the Daytona on the road for about 60 days. I sprayed it with epoxy primer and plan on painting it this winter. I have come to the conclusion that I will primarily use it for autocross and maybe some track events. Sure, I will will drive it to dairy queen from time to time, but lets face it...its a street legal race car and not a daily driver.

I am considering a wrap (by a professional). Would love to hear the real world experience from someone who has wrapped their Cobra. I looked at a Mustang this weekend that was wrapped and it looked great. Mainly concerned about how well it will hold up over 5 years.

I am intrigued by color scheme options, don't have to remove/install the body for paint, and it can be done in 5 days. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
No first hand experience but if you get good quality wrap they should last for 5-7 years from what I've heard and read.
They can do pretty intricate design work these days, even preprinting wraps so it could be a really cool option.
The other one is Plasti-dip. If your not familiar its a rubberized coating that you spray on the car but can remove at any time if you wanted to change it later, or do an actual paint job. I did my wheels on my DD and its holding up really nice and was also easy to apply.

HTH,

John

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
My,opinion.Wraps are the best thing (for cars) to come along in a Looong time.
Yesterday at our local club get together found out this Corvette had a complete wrap.He got prices for a paint job that ranged from 7 to 10k.Instead he went w/a wrap for 2k .You would never know it wasn't paint.And he had the car back the next day:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Had the top wrapped 2-3 years ago and still like new.Shops wanted 1k plus to paint the top... .Wrap=$200.00 & got it back the same day.Color match is perfect :)
Also I just wrapped the rear fender stone guards ........Perfect !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
That video is awesome! If I can find someone in Denver that knows what they are doing, I going for it.
If my little town has professionals who install it I'm sure Denver has many who do."Life span of 7 years" ? Most cars spend at least 1/3 of their life 'outside'. These Cobras don't.So I would expect the lifetime to be much longer than 7 years.Best of luck with it.I've seen a cobra that had a Brushed Alum.wrap that looked Beautiful !:)When you get her done post pix. of it .

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Rear fender stone guards.Before & after pix.First time I,myself,have worked w/this 'wrap material'. Figured I get rid of the stone chips in the factory guards.
Second pix. you can see the metallic w/in the wrap.chips are gone.
Before.............After

Attachments

·
Charter Member
205 Posts
LOL, that looks very cool.
I am liking the idea of a full wrap, cost lower than paint, turnaround time is shorter, can change it later if I want a different color. Not seeing too many downsides.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
LOL, that looks very cool.
I am liking the idea of a full wrap, cost lower than paint, turnaround time is shorter, can change it later if I want a different color. Not seeing too many downsides.
It is awesome how far this has progressed. I looked at a wrap as an option 10 years ago when I finished my MK3.1 but the companies in the area (Houston) all said that they needed a paint base (they said it wouldn't hold on a high build primer). Epoxy primer is obviously a very different story but at that time it appeared that my options were: pay for a paint job and then pay for a wrap or, pay for a paint job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts