Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know... I'm sure it's a dumb question...
I've been searching a while for a Cobra and I'm dead set on a BB. It's part psychological, just "have" to have a BB. The other part is, I'm looking for max power and torque. I see so many small blocks in my shopping and wondering if I'd regret settling for a small block.

· Registered
523 Posts
My cars not finished yet and what I've spent on the big block there is no way I'd go small block :) IMO, if it's a bigblock it helps you stand out.

I have a buddy with a 4.6 and in such a light car it performs quite nice...I just have to be faster than him:)

· Registered
2,056 Posts
I'm sure it's a dumb question... <snip> I see so many small blocks in my shopping and wondering if I'd regret settling for a small block.
Not a dumb question.

I always figured if I ever got around to building one I'd go BB + IRS.

When the time came, my research said a BB was going to be 3X the money (pick your HP level) and 400 extra lbs (forever). My main objection was the extra weight.

I went with a (large) stroked SBF + IRS.

Maybe I freed up a BB for you out there somewhere... :smoke:

Mike

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
I don't think the different between a big block FE motor and a 302 would be 400 lbs.
We have several BB Cobras in our group, love the sound at idle.

If you replace the water pump, intake and heads on the BB you will save about 200 lbs. 70 on the intake alone.
I have driven several bb Cobras and the weight on the front is not much more than my small block Cobra.

The big block is the way to go. If you think you want a bb don't let the cost or weight thing scare you.

Cost is about double, maybe 4000 to 5000 more. But you could buy a Ponds aluminum block 482 with 630 hp for $18,000. Now that would cost more than a stock junk yard 302 for $500.

Do more research before you buy. It's hard to beat a big block Cobra.

Dwight

· Registered
115 Posts
BB

Love my BB . I think its easier to drive because it has so much power low in the RPM range where on the street you spend alot of your time .dont have to get the revs up to move pretty quickly. still goes fast when you do. Playing around the other day and going 28mph in 5th gear without bucking , luvthat torque. M

· ff cobra master craftsman
2,784 Posts
in the long run it is cheaper to make the decision once, when I built my mkIII i installed a 342 stroker it had a little over 400hp it was fine but I always wanted a big block so i built a 445 I now wish I would of done this in the beginning i would of saved a lot of money.
I have never heard of anone removing a big block to install a small block.

· Registered
4,738 Posts
If you want a BB, do it.
If you don't, you'd always regret not going BB.

Our club has several BBs and they definitely sound and run much healthier! no doubt about that!:001_tongue:

· Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
I had a BB. Loved it! Sold it to build a more period correct 289FIA SB

· Registered
5,909 Posts
I'd never own a small block again.
A FE with aluminum heads and intake isn't much different in weight of a 351w.
As for build cost.. The last FE I built was a 390, .040 over with a 428 crank making it 418cu.in. Stock OEM type cast pistons, stock iron heads, Lunati cam, Performer RPM intake with a Holley 750. I was a budget build (around $3500) and dyno'ed at [email protected] and [email protected] Started the pull @2500rpm were it was making 419ft.lbs.
What's the cost to get #'s like that from a little block and were is it going to make that kind of power? up around 7-8000rpm.. Those motors don't last long...
The 385 series(aka460) there heavy blocks to start with, and you cant change that.. My $.02

· Registered
5,909 Posts
It will be about 200lbs heavier than a 351w with iron heads.

But I agree - if you always wanted a BB, that's what you ought to go with. It's a lot easier to do now than it will be to go back.

Mike
Disagree. Factory weight of a 351W is 525lbs.
Factory weight of FE is 625lbs.
Factory weight of 460 is 720lbs

The FE iron intake alone is 80lbs. replace that with a 20 lb aluminum, so -60lbs= 565lbs or 40lbs difference
Kelly hotrod - Ford Engines Page 1

http://www.erareplicas.com/engines.htm#fe
"The FE series of Ford engines started with the 352 cid engine, and continued through the 390, 427 and 428. The series also includes a number of truck variations as small as 332 cid. They haven't been produced since the early 70's! The FE series was a thin-wall design preceding the 221/260, so the weight was pretty reasonable: 610 lbs for an all iron engine, with flywheel and carburetor. With the current parts available, we have measured the weight of a complete all-aluminum 427 (Shelby) to be as low as 460 lbs, 20 less than a 289 iron small block. Aluminum heads, water pump and intake on an iron block results in about 520 lbs. In contrast, an iron Chevy big block is about 700 lbs and the 350 small block about 560 lbs."
Swap the 40lbs. iron flywheel for a 12lbs alumium, you down to 492lbs. 32 lbs heavier than a stock 302.

· Registered
11,831 Posts
if you are looking for 'max power and torque', EDIT why am i only the second to mention a small block stroker?

my 347 is super stupid torquey and powerful. i have yet been able to go full throttle in less than 4th gear. i sit and dream of $$$ for better tires.

· Registered
115 Posts
BB

The question was would you trade your big block for a small block ? My answer is no. I had the same questions and the guy at ff said the same thing that u dont want to second guess it. I am really happy that i went BB and with aluminum heads ,water pump and intake i dont think the weight is noticable. The car will go around corners way faster than my meager skills allow so handling is not an issue i just need a bigger set!

· Registered
523 Posts
I have been thinking about this. I have a member of my car club with a stock 302 in his car. He is very content and his goal was to make an exceptionally nice car that would be dependable and driveable. These cars standout no matter the attention.

With that said, when I was looking for a muscle car it had to have a few things. It had to be topless, it had to be stick, and it had to scare the he!! out of my passangers. So going into this I knew I needed at least a stroker motor. It just happened I stumbled across a 427 FE and I had it built. my cars not finished so I don't know if a bunch of horsepower is a mistake or not.....who am I kidding...there is no such thing as to much torque and horsepower :revs:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.