Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a Factory Five Mk3 that I purchased last year and absolutely loving! I do however need to redo / move the seats to accommodate my long legs. Hence why I am working on redoing the interior. So the prior owner had put in a pair of low back Kirkey bucket seats because he regularly auto crossed the car (which I plan to do in addition to just tooling around). I really like how well the Kirkey seats hold you in when driving hard, however I find that they are pretty uncomfortable after sitting in them for an hour. The butt and back have a 1/2" of foam padding at best...

I took them to a local auto upholstery shop to get a quote to get them reupholstered and have more foam added / sculpted to actually make them comfortable. The shop said they would do all new vinyl and use multiple layers of different foam to shape the seat. They estimated $900 (possibly more) to reupholster both Kirkey seats in back vinyl... Has anyone else ever had this done? Is this "reasonable"??? To me, this sounds very high considering for ~$500 I could pick up two brand new seats from Factory Five!

I'm planning on hitting up one or two more auto upholstery shops, but I wanted to get a feel from others what they thought. Is $900 really reasonable?

Corey

Attachments

·
8,350 Posts
Had my MK4 "regular-issue" FFR seats reupholstered in vinyl to change the color. $800. Foam was reused.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeInAtlanta, thanks for that suggestion - I didn't know about that. Kirkey has a pretty good YouTube video that explains exactly how to do it. Worth watching for those that might consider this.

https://www.youtube.com/v/j42FFYevYks&hl=en&fs=1&color1=black&color2=0xFFF200&border=1

In the end though, I would still need to have to have new seat covers made, so either way, looks like I'd be coming on around the same price. So maybe $900 isn't that far off?

·
Registered
606 Posts
Seats

I purchased a gel pad for airplane pilots and put it between metal seat and vinyl covering. Very comfortable. $50.00

·
Registered
751 Posts
Check out Aircraft Spruce for their "Confor Foam Seat Cushions". I'm planning on adding a Kirkey low back vintage racing seat, and the plan is to add this foam padding, and seat heaters. Have to deal with the fit of the cover at that point I guess.
Rick

·
Premium Member
8,065 Posts
MikeInAtlanta, thanks for that suggestion - I didn't know about that. Kirkey has a pretty good YouTube video that explains exactly how to do it. Worth watching for those that might consider this.

https://www.youtube.com/v/j42FFYevYks&hl=en&fs=1&color1=black&color2=0xFFF200&border=1

In the end though, I would still need to have to have new seat covers made, so either way, looks like I'd be coming on around the same price. So maybe $900 isn't that far off?
Where you come out cheaper is you only need to do the driver's seat, and an upholstery shop can use your old cover and make it fit as long as you don't get carried away with too much foam. Where you come out better is the foam will support you much better than what the upholstery shop will install.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Seat Padding

I have the same seat in my MK3. I went to a camping store and bought 2 different thicknesses of foam padding that is used under sleeping bags. I tried a couple of different combos of thickness till I found what I like on the bottom and back of the seat then I held the fitted pieces in place with good 2 sided tape. I finished up by re installing my seat heater and put the Kirkey cover back on. Very comfortable and inexpensive.

Allan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@MikeInAtlanta - Yes I am looking to do both seats, so that option does get pretty expensive. Also, it is entirely molded to that individuals body, so much so that I would think that on a hot day it would get uncomfortable. that said, I'm sure this must be great for autocross.

@EX$ - I checked out Aircraft Spruce and I like the idea. I guess what has me so hesitant is if I add about 2" of foam in the but and 1" to 2" in the lumbar, I would think that would cause the current seat cover to fit poorly. IE, when one is not in it, I would think that it would almost look like it was getting pushed out since it was originally made to go further in where the foam is currently sitting... Have you tried this?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Haven't done it yet, but plan on doing it in the future. Not sure how far in the future it will be.

·
Snake Farmer
10,319 Posts
I guess what has me so hesitant is if I add about 2" of foam in the but and 1" to 2" in the lumbar, I would think that would cause the current seat cover to fit poorly.
Perhaps a higher density foam, but still the original thickness, would work?

·
Junior Charter Member
900 Posts
I took my vinyl seats in my MK3 and changed them to leather. When I bought the kit the leather seats were WAY over priced... The construction is very cheap and basic. As an upholsterer I had all sorts of foam available... I refabricated the stock mustang seat frame because I didn't want my legs out straight when driving. Now my knees are bent like in a regular seat which is more comfortable.. With this being said, I am a little taller in the seat and had to adjust the seat foam to keep my head below the windscreen. The leather does make the seat more comfortable and the multiple layers of thinner foam dials in compression and support... One seat does not fit all, if you can get close than live with it unless you spend time with the builder..
$ 900.00 is a very steep price for these seats....... Rule of thumb is, only the seating and inside shell is done in leather, the outside back is done in a matching vinyl.... The cost of "real" leather skin or cowhide is not as expensive as they make it out to be for that little of a seat...
For $900.00 they saw you coming......IMHO..................stevo

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I obtained my 2004 MKII from FFR with their 'Street Performer' seats. I selected those since they were the only high-back seats available from them. I wanted a high back so my head would not contact the roll bar if I got rear ended. Fast forward to last year (2019), where I needed to reupholster or replace those seats for comfort reasons. During my build process, I had the leading edge of the seat frames narrowed by 3/4" for a bit more flexibility in fitting them inside the chassis. That allowed me to see exactly how those seats were made with their perimeter tube frames. Last year, I decided to have my seats reupholstered at a cost of $750.00 for both. I'm happy I did that and the results are fabulous IMO. What I did learn in the process is that all but the main seat foam had turned to powder during the 18 years of service. I don't believe FFR still offers those seats, but I'm hoping some owners may find this information helpful. Reupholstering did make the seats feel a bit narrower due to the fresh foam.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts