Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have to drive these things sanely around town, mine carbons up somewhat. Then when I get on it, it breaks up in the 4,000 to 6,000 rpm range. A couple of wot runs through the gears and it's ok again. I have a Ford duraspark ignition with MSD rotor and FMS 9mm spark plug wires and a Crane PS91 e-core coil with Champion Gold plugs (CHA-2079). I don't think I have a wire problem as it does clean out with a couple of full throttle romps thru the gears. Would something like an MSD 6AL help my problem? As I understand it, the MSD module provides some "spark duration". Anybody have experience with this?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
You can find more information on exactly what the MSD ignition boxes do on their website www.msdignition.com.

I've had before/after experiences with the MSD 6A and 6AL on two carbed cars, and in both cases the engine idled better and ran smoother in the higher rpms with the box. This was in conjunction with an MSD distributor, coil, and plug wires.

I don't have any before/after experience with an EFI car, but based on my experience with the carbed cars it couldn't hurt, so I went ahead and put one on the Cobra (again along with a MSD distributor, coil, and plug wires). My car starts and idles great, but it's not on the road yet so I don't know what the high-rpm performance will be like.

Seems like I've heard some bad things about the FMS wires.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts