Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
I looking at get my first cobra The car I have wanted since I was 6 in June or early July and was hoping some of you might show me your cars and let me know what you like or would like to change about your car. my max budget is 40k and from what I have seen is the factory five is the best bang for the buck in that range
Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hey all
I looking at get my first cobra The car I have wanted since I was 6 in June or early July and was hoping some of you might show me your cars and let me know what you like or would like to change about your car. my max budget is 40k and from what I have seen is the factory five is the best bang for the buck in that range
Thanks

Where ya located?

·
Super Moderator
29,459 Posts
I live in Redding but my Cobra won’t be done with paint for another 2-3 weeks. After that you’re welcome to drop in and see one in person

Bill D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,062 Posts
I live in Oregon City and have a real old MKI ('Ol # 1437) for the last 20+yrs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why did you guys invest in an FFR when Backdraft and maybe Superformance are less work to get on the road, bigger inside, and still customizable? Or like me when you encounter a challenge you can't wait to make it your own from top to bottom? If FFR were out of range which roller version would you choose?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tim,
My cobra should arrive about the same time as yours (June or July). I purchased one from Pacific Roadster, based there in Salem. I’m in Roseburg Oregon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Tim,
My cobra should arrive about the same time as yours (June or July). I purchased one from Pacific Roadster, based there in Salem. I’m in Roseburg Oregon.
Yeah I haven't found one to buy yet thats the time frame I should have my finances in order to seriously start looking. How much did yours cost from Pacific roadsters? I didn't know they were still in business

·
Registered
2 Posts
The builder‘s first name is Vui and he is pretty much a one man shop. He has been building Cobra’s and doing other custom cars for several years. I first started talking to him about 14 or 15 years ago when I learned that he builds cobras. His cobras are an inch or two longer and an inch or two wider than an original. By doing so he can fit a 6’ plus guy behind the wheel without any problem. There is a video of a 6’ 2” owner I’ll try to find and send you. Vui generally sells turnkey minus cobras. Stick a motor and transmission in and you’re ready to cruse. We plan to have him build the frame, body and supply all the components and we‘ll do the build ourselves. I know building costs are going up (what isn’t), so you should ask him about price. But I am pretty sure you can get the turnkey for less than $40k.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey all
Thanks
Ok Tim ,
What I love about My Cobra is; the way it carefully tries to kill me every time I drive it. The way my eyeball bounce off the back of my skull on a hard launch. The way my ears ring for days after I drive it. The way it smells, especially on startup running a little rich and of course the burnt rubber. The constant thumbs up. The broken necks of people trying to get a glance as I rip by. The way girls will sometime raise their shirts to show their enthusiasm. The way it jumps sideways then catches traction making me and my wife look like bobbleheads. The way the wind feels in the hair that I dont have. The way my left arm is tan much further up than the right because the wind pushes my sleeve. The reputation around town that " this is NOT the car to mess with". I love my Cobra!! The best thing about the Cobra is the people I have met thru All the Cobra clubs. Cobra shows, Spring Flings, Cobra Meets. etc. Cobra owners are the most giving people I have ever met. Love them all!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok Tim ,
What I love about My Cobra is; the way it carefully tries to kill me every time I drive it. The way my eyeball bounce off the back of my skull on a hard launch. The way my ears ring for days after I drive it. The way it smells, especially on startup running a little rich and of course the burnt rubber. The constant thumbs up. The broken necks of people trying to get a glance as I rip by. The way girls will sometime raise their shirts to show their enthusiasm. The way it jumps sideways then catches traction making me and my wife look like bobbleheads. The way the wind feels in the hair that I dont have. The way my left arm is tan much further up than the right because the wind pushes my sleeve. The reputation around town that " this is NOT the car to mess with". I love my Cobra!! The best thing about the Cobra is the people I have met thru All the Cobra clubs. Cobra shows, Spring Flings, Cobra Meets. etc. Cobra owners are the most giving people I have ever met. Love them all!
What size motor do you have and what mk do you have 1,2,3 or 4

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have been driving my MKII Cobra with a slightly modified 89 Mustang motor (less than 300hp), T5 and an IRS. for almost 5 years now. I am just about to break 30k miles on it. I also have a FFR Hot Rod with a Coyote (~500hp), T56 and an IRS. Both cars are great and I love them for what they are. What surprised me most is for street driving, my choice is the Cobra. Even though it has half of the horse power, I just love driving it. I was like you when I went looking for a Cobra. I visited clubs and called everyone I could. People who own/driven one Cobra will tell you everything about why there car is the best. I found talking to people who have own more than one or are builders to give different advice. On the street, it is hard to put down more than 300hp. The MK4 is a great car. If you want to stay on budget, go look for a great MKI or MKII. There is less love for these cars, so the prices tend to be much less than a MK4. Good luck.

·
Junior Charter Member
840 Posts
Why did you guys invest in an FFR when Backdraft and maybe Superformance are less work to get on the road, bigger inside, and still customizable? Or like me when you encounter a challenge you can't wait to make it your own from top to bottom? If FFR were out of range which roller version would you choose?
I had a foxbody mustang I bought for a parts car and was looking to build a ‘32 Ford hotrod with the mustang drivetrain, then I found FFR.
I showed my wife pics of a 32 and a cobra and she chose the cobra.
I’m glad I did, an older Ford would have been more of the work I don’t enjoy.
Love my cobra!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Keep reading this site and you will probably find out what can and can't be done for your budget. If you are into building cars and are budget minded, you should be able to meet your mark with a little to spare by shopping carefully and looking out for deals on parts. However, don't be surprised if you find yourself finding upgrades that look interesting ... and you say "what budget?" like the rest of us have at times.... ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts