Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as usual, after a very short period of time out in the garage I've run into another bump in the road that I need to research..

I was going to put back together the valve train today and after looking at my old donor rocker arms, I have questions. A few of the rocker arms look worn in the fulcrum area. How do I know when the worn area is worn too much? On a couple there is actually a little bit of a groove, that I can easily feel with my finger, worn into the rocker arm. Is that too much?

What about lifters? How do I know if the used ones are good to go, or if I should buy new ones?

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, everything is still together..

ie. #1 intake lifter/rocker arm hardware/pushrod

#1 exhaust lifter/rocker arm hardware/pushrod

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
If it's a groove that that you feel and measure, it's too much.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Unless you have a "need" for roller rockers. The roller tip or the plain stock that new in box can be had on E-Bay pretty cheap. I would be very very careful buying used sled type rockers.

The rollers are clearly better from a performance perspective, but the others are clearly better for the wallet.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I have a set off a 92 5.0 , used. You can have them for shipping . Roger

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
Well it's like this , I don't know any mileage or history on the engine you are working on ,but these 5.0 engines will run 200k . The thing is don't look too close when you disassemble , and keep the trash can close . This is only my opinion from 20+ years of ase mechanic experience.Normal throway stuff and mileage
1.anything over 100k miles timimg set, rockers arms, rings bearings, oil pump, valve springs retainers and locks. Feel camshaft if engine was not regularly maintained you will see wear right before and after the lobe peak.
2.150k plus miles lifters , and pistons (does anyone measure them anymore )
I'm sure there are hundreds of you running 200k plus engines that run great, many do. If it is apart replace the marginal stuff.Sure it costs more but it's twice as much if a 15$ part fails. Bob

·
6,332 Posts
You are about to enter donor swampland. It's almost impossible to change one thing and stop right there. As Bob Taylor points out, if you need rockers then you'll probably want the rest of the valve train as well, springs, timing chain,and maybe even a cam. The donor concept works well as long as you can stick to degreaser and paint. Normal service parts like brake pads notwithstanding, when you open the engine up you have opened Pandora's box. Good luck.
Frank

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
If you can feel it trash it. Aside from seeing a groove worn in the folcrum area there really is no other indication of a problem in this area.
What else has been done to the donor engine? If you have rebuild the bottom end then it's to your benefit to repalce the worn valve train parts. If just useing a stock untouched donor engine that ran good,do just that and leave it untouched. Problems happen when trying to semi recontition the engine with some new and some used parts. The part may have survived it's first 150,000 miles but can't expect these same parts to continue to give good service past there intended life. However I have the stock 100,000 mile rockers not used in my build. Pay shipping and there yours if you decide to go with used.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts