Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friend!
I am trying to get my drive train together and searching for a Motor/Transmission/Rear End. I came across what looks like a clean WC T5 transmission with a new King Cobra Clutch + B&M shift lever. I tried to cross-reference the identification tag to see if there were any details about the gears or the transmission in general, but I am not sure what the Vehicle Description is telling me. Does anyone know what a FSVO is in regards to a transmission?

The ID tag is (from top left to right nearest the bolt)
  • ??M-7003-X
  • L2432
  • 13-52-227 11241

Lookup:
1352-227FSVO No Rev Brake WC

There are no code or gear ratios when I checked britishv8 or 5speeds.com. I am hoping one of you brilliant builders can help clue me in on what the heck FSVO is, is the Rev Brake really only useful when shifting in Rev while in motion, and where I can look to find the gearing? I believe I have heard of the Mustang SVO (Special Vehicle Operations), which I think was one of the first machines a WC T5 was used in the mid-late 80's. But, this tranny looks real clean, is listed as new, and I still have no idea if my assumption of SVO is correct or if FSVO is some variant (maybe the F=Ford?). Or if this is a good transmission to drop in a 347 roadster.

My fear, if it is the Mustang SVO, is if the tranny came from a 5.0L or a 2.3L setup since 1st & OD gears would be different and help plan for the rated torque. The case does have Borg Warner stamped on the casing. The seller is uncertain but said he only used it for test fitting. ID tag numbers

The price is a little higher than I wanted to spend @ $1800. But, does come with a Clutch (Ford Racing M-7563-A302 Pressure Plate) which I saw mentioned a few years ago by Snakeboost here: m-7563-a302 clutch kit!!!
As well as a 157 tooth OE Flywheel and a B&M shift lever and knob.

I am planning on putting 3.55 gears in my rear, which I have read are pretty solid all-around gearing. But I want to make sure I get my gears right the first time so I'm not cruising in OD at 2500 RPM doing 60.

Thanks for your advice!
Yeti (Adam)

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,802 Posts
Everything after 85 was a world class.there is a small spot a little smaller than a dime on the side of the case with the year stamped on it. To determine between a 4cyl and v8 trans take a pr of dial caliper and measure the input shaft the rides in the pilot bearing. Using calipers or a micrometer, check the OD of the input shaft where the pilot rides - .59 OD = 4cyl, .668OD = V8. The 4-cylinder has an input shaft length of 7.41", whereas V8 has 7.18".

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gordon! You are the man! I will see if I can get over to look at it in person with a set of calipers. One other thing, the tranny has the bell housing and the Clutch Release Lever on the shaft. Would I be able to measure the splines to know? Here is a pic of it

Tool Rim Automotive tire Vehicle brake Bicycle part

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper

Thanks again!

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,802 Posts
Not really no. Run over to Harbor freight and get a set of calipers for $20. They will be useful.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I passed on the transmission. For the money, I'm sure it wouldn't be much more for a warrantied one from LRClassic. Plus, the power plant/drive train was supposed to be where the "Budget" in my budget build came into play. ...At least that is what I told my wife when I was justifying all those suspension & brake upgrades. From some posts I have read, it seems like getting the trans and motor together is the best thing when pulling from a junkyard. But, I did find a guy with a 1999 Mustang T-5 with electric speedo for $500... but it sold quick. I'll have to keep my eyes more peeled. Thanks for the help on this thread.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,542 Posts
Just a word of advice on buying used drivetrains. Depending on what state you live in, you may need to show proof of where the main parts come from including a VIN number if possible. Not trying to deter you at all, just trying to help you avoid a headache down the road if they ask for documentation you might not have. Good Luck with the search! I would stick to Fox 87-93 T5s to keep the correct length and not make a shorter driveshaft as some of the later years might have the longer input and take a deeper bellhousing.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a word of advice on buying used drivetrains. Depending on what state you live in, you may need to show proof of where the main parts come from including a VIN number if possible. Not trying to deter you at all, just trying to help you avoid a headache down the road if they ask for documentation you might not have. Good Luck with the search! I would stick to Fox 87-93 T5s to keep the correct length and not make a shorter driveshaft as some of the later years might have the longer input and take a deeper bellhousing.
Thanks Cobra! I appreciate the insight and heads up. I’ll try to confirm with my DMV is a bill of sale would be adequate or what I should prepare for.

Seems like finding one of those Fox Bodies is getting hard anymore. I’m sure one will show soon enough.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts