Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Saturday, everyone. I drove #6240 for 90 minutes last weekend, parked outside the garage to clean it. Afterward, it will not fire.
Config: 302 crate with Mass-Flo EFI (standard config with Mass-Flo EEC, fuse/relay block, data port). Ron Francis chassis harness.
Fuel pump starts at the turn of the key, but doesn't stop after pressurization as normal. 30 PSI shows at the regulator.
Attaching a timing light shows no flashes, so I assume no spark.
No check engine light
Grounding the diagnostic terminal retuns no codes (by flashing the check engine light)
EEC has power from the relay

With no check-engine light, I suspect the computer died, but it ran fine 30 minutes before, and I did nothing that could have harmed it in between.

Ideas?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,598 Posts
The first thing that comes to mind is the TFI module on the distributor. Massflo uses the stock 5.0 efi wiring and distributor.

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Gordon! Is there a test to determine if it indeed is bad?

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,598 Posts

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks as always!

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, filled up 60 minutes before, and fuel pressure is at 30 PSI

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not getting 12v to the coil or TFI. Fuse is good. Any ideas?

Starter spins great, so have good 12v supply.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Based on the combination of issues controlled by computer I’d say it’s bad. Open and check capacitors for wetness. I have a known good spare unit if you want to borrow.

Phil

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is this the model of 302 that had the salt and pepper connectors at the back of the engine? They sometimes fail to maintain a good connection. Wiggle or disconnect and reconnect, if applicable.
I am located just north of Bham, Warrior, Kimberly area.

·
Vegasjack
62 Posts
Good Saturday, everyone. I drove #6240 for 90 minutes last weekend, parked outside the garage to clean it. Afterward, it will not fire.
Config: 302 crate with Mass-Flo EFI (standard config with Mass-Flo EEC, fuse/relay block, data port). Ron Francis chassis harness.
Fuel pump starts at the turn of the key, but doesn't stop after pressurization as normal. 30 PSI shows at the regulator.
Attaching a timing light shows no flashes, so I assume no spark.
No check engine light
Grounding the diagnostic terminal retuns no codes (by flashing the check engine light)
EEC has power from the relay

With no check-engine light, I suspect the computer died, but it ran fine 30 minutes before, and I did nothing that could have harmed it in between.

Ideas?

Thanks!

You said you cleaned it. Did you clean the engine? Any chance you got water into areas not needing it? Such as inside the distributor cap?

·
Charter Member
1,754 Posts
L A Pick and Railroad

I noticed y'all are in the B'ham area.

my name is Dwight Frye and I live in Florence Al.

We have about 50 members in our club, North Ala Cobra Club. One member lives in Ca. one in Florida, several in Tenn.
A dozen or so in Huntsville.

We keep in touch thought emails. Our group in Florence gets together every Friday night and the bunch in Hvs meet Tuesday for lunch.
Of course there are car shows and cruises we attend.

If you're interested in joining please contact me. No dues, no hats, no t-shirts, just a social club.
We are now planning our Christmas party at Coach's place. We normally have 40 to 50 to attend.

Dwight

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks,guys. The only water sprayed was to clean the wheels. The body got detailing spray only, so zero chance of water incursion. The wiring harness is from Mass-flo, so doesn't have any connections on the back of the engine.

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Dwight! The system would not let me send a PM, so let me know how to get you my info to add me to the list.

Cheers,

Mark

·
Administrator
6,984 Posts
Subscribing. I have virtually the same issue with my mass-flo. No computer check engine light. No one told me to check the TFI module...

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the mass-flo system generation 1 and it would die and I thought it was the TFI unit. It wasn't. Chris? I believe at Mass-flo told me to switch from MSD to Mallory for the distributor and all has been good since. Not sure what the deal was with the distributor but it worked and the car has run fine since.

·
FFR 6240
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I talked to Chris and he directed me to check the connector to the fuse/relay block, and sure enough, the 12v pin was burned up. I'll post more after my bypass is complete and success confirmed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts