Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the fuel pump relay getting fried and the hunt for the elusive windshield wiper wire convinced me that the people who described my wiring as a "fire hazard" are probably right. I've ordered a complete harness from a junkyard and will diet and install it on my own. In the meantime, the upholstery is coming out of the car in preparation for taking the wiring out. At least it will give me the chance to do some water-proofing of the cockpit.

As I go through this pain and suffering, I consider building my own car in the future and think to myself I'd rather cut my own head off with a toothbrush than use a donor harness. I've talked with the guys at I-squared and it seems like a really good system. I've heard a few people on the forums say that they're not so impressed, though. Does anyone have a counterpoint to the I-squared option?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
WE have not had bad luck with the donor harness, but it is a messy installation. If I had it to do over again, and I might later, I would go with the I-Squared solution. So much cleaner.

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Do your own wire diet. You will come to understand how you car works and if there are any problems down the road it will be easyer for you to fix. I have done 2 diets so far and I am starting my 3rd. The wiring should be done so it is safe but it is something you will never see. It is possible to wire a car and see almost no wiring in the engine compartment with EFI. If you want any help on how to run the curcuits so the engine compartment is clean looking just ask.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
The ISquared system is ideal for situations like yours.

·
2,860 Posts
Also, take a look at the harness by www.ronfrancis.com Very high quality components. Great catalog too. I believe FFR should not encourage/offer the use of the donor harness. I have one...always a mess; I'm just waiting for a 18 year old relay/connector/etc. to fail. Winter project...someday. :(

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I did the wire diet, it works fine and looks great. (IMHO) It's all a matter of time or money. Which do you have the most of? If you have lots of time and little money go with the wire diet. If you have little time but lots of money go with either the Isquared or one of the forum vendors who can do the diet for you.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,784 Posts
I have done 8 wire diets and they work well when they are correctly done!

The main harness takes about 8-10 hours and you leave most of it in the trash. The front and rear harnesses can be done in 2 to 4 hours each.

The ECM, engine and O2 harnesses can be left alone-there might be a 5% savings in wires with three connectors and one relay deleted. This may not be the best use of time for most people.

You will need both the schematics and the electrical and vacuum manuals to do this!

Best of luck,
Chuck

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Anyone can do a wirediet.

The trick is to create something you can lift out of the box with one hand and have the engine running in 20 minutes or so. The wire lengths are correct and labeled forward and aft for the FFR chassis or street rod, everything in the dash is labeled for guages, switches and accessories. All wire connectors are steel, heat shrunk and the whole thing tested on a marine battery before leaving the big table.

Same goes for 4.6s.

·
Senior Charter Member
212 Posts
Do you have the body off of the car? I would hate to do any major wiring work (diet, major repair, or new harness) with the body still on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts