Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine is due back this week after 50 weeks at the builder.

For much of that time I've looked at wiring, touched wiring, thought about wiring and read about wiring.

It always seems like the elephant in the garage.

Well today I started wiring the car, I've got the better part of the dash done, the tough part!

Once I got into it, easy peasy. I should have jumped out of that plane much sooner.

Have a few switches and relays on order so I should tap it up in the next week or 2, engine here this week (hopefully) and a first start video before Christmas!

Thanks to everyone that helped me get this far!

Vic

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
FFR 7469
551 Posts
Congratulations Vic. I know what you mean. For me the wiring created fear, uncertainty and doubt - then once I got past all that and put pen to paper and solder to wire, it was very rewarding to finish the wiring. Something about turning on the lights and seeing them work for the first time. :weight_lift:

Keep us posted on the progress and maybe even a picture with the lights on???

-Bob

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dropped the block and the stroker kit off December 11, 2011. He assembled it about a month ago, now he is finishing it...

Never pay in advance!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not all bad, the horrors of the build I won't comment on, but I can say that Levy bailed me out of a good mess at one point.

Everson, way to rub it in, my next order will be coming soon, that rad panel is a must have.

Vic

(Edited for fat finger spelling)

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
My engine is due back this week after 50 weeks at the builder.
What was he doing, digging the iron ore out the ground himself?

Was he a local guy? If not, please let us know so we don't use him.

Wiring is daunting for a lot of people. I used to work on control systems with thousands of wires. The big thing to do is to look at one system at a time. Wiring up a car is a big task. But wiring one headlight is easy. Then wire one headlight again, one turn signal, etc. Piece of cake.

·
Premium Member
3,496 Posts
Wiring

Make a diagram in advance. Number the wires where you may have doubts. Bundle wires carefully. Go very carefully. Troubleshooting bad connections is a real pain, better to go slow.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm using an ez wiring harness so everything is color coded and labelled, I've been adding my own labels where necessarily and have written up notes on what circuits run through which connections. I'm using weatherpacks for the connections everywhere since I purchased a kit that has more than enough in it.

It actually looks better than I ever thought I could accomplish. Once the last bits I need arrive and get installed I'll take a few pics.

Cheers,
Vic

·
Banned
2,213 Posts
Samadhi - glad to hear that you're tackling the wiring. It's pretty intimidating at first. You have the right attitude for this project. You just gotta wrestle with it till it gives up.

·
Senior Charter Member
537 Posts
I am currently doing the wiring with my 93 donor harness. Intimidating at first but actually kind of fun once you start getting into it and tracing circuits, etc. Really satisfying when you turn on the power and the circuit you were working on actually works!:w00t:
Joe

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I broke down and bought a new HD soldering gun when I rewired my dash last winter. Made the job much more easy/fun.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
A suggestion

Actually a suggestion as well Vic. I wired in a simple push button start in line with the key i.e. I can bump over the starter with the key off, start the car with the button and the key on or just start the car with the key. It's nice to be able to bump the starter with out the ignition on. Just a thought. Regards Scott

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Another suggestion that's been helpful to me. Rich GRSC suggested it.
Wire a toggle switch across the Clutch Safety. When it's OFF, you have to depress the clutch to start, switch it ON you don't need the clutch in.
Normally, I leave it OFF, but when I was messing with the rad fan and the throttle cable, I could start the car without getting in and out. (just make sure it's in Neutral!)

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Thought after I posted.
I'm also going to wire in a bypass switch for the rad fan thermostat too, so I can turn it on before the temp kicks in, in case I get into traffic or sitting in the garage or something.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Avalanche, yes I guess that could happen but I have a master battery disconnect that I throw when I park the car and take the key with me along with the ignition key so curious fingers are not able to do any harm. Although it's funny, people generally seem afraid to touch the car, I have an alarm as well but hardly ever use it. Regards Scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.