Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cobra Fanatic
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am parting out a 1995 Mustang and will be putting the drive train in a 1965 Mustang, I am working on getting the harness out of the car, what a PITA!!! I will be using a painless 12 circuit harness for most of the cars electrical, what do I need for engine management? Is Chuck the Mustang Medic still around and working his magic on these harnesses? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Aron

· Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
The '94-'95 Mustang EFI system is not considered the best to work with. I would seriously consider swapping the engine's front dress and induction setup to the more popular Fox era ('86-'93) to aid in pulley setup and intake options.

If you're dropping the engine in compeltely stock with the stock front dress then you're OK, but if you are looking for performance upgrades, etc. the '94-'95 models are seriously lacking.

As for the EFI wiring, Ford did a lot of weird things to that ECM and it is widely known it is better to simply ditch that computer and wiring and go with an aftermarket EFI harness and an earlier A9L spec ECM.

HTH...
Mark

· Cobra Fanatic
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, This motor has all kinds of HP parts on it with a complete aftermarket intake, throttle body and MAF, where can I buy a aftermarket harness, I can find a A9L no problem, I would love to stop pulling the harness right now!!!!
Thanks for your quick response!!
Aron

· Cobra Fanatic
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about it some more, I am not going to really change much else on this motor, just clean it up and drop it in to the 65, so I think I will go ahead and keep pulling the harness unless someone has a better idea.

Aron

· Lay posi
1,223 Posts
I dieted my 94 donor wiring harness for my MKIII and I can honestly say that unless you absolutely love doing wiring, there is a decent chance that you will get tired of messing with a 94/95 harness. I personally would advise against it for use in an older mustang. I generally enjoy wiring, but even with the Ford schematic, it took a lot of hours. However, I modified the dash harness in my build too. Might I suggest looking into the harness at RJM Injection Tech — Welcome for your project. I believe Ron Francis sells a similar product. Another option is wirediet.com. Those vendors may be able to customize their product to work with your engine too like the alternator if required. The only down side I can think of with an A9L computer is that you won't have the CCRM module for the electric fan. I'm not sure if you were planning on running an electric fan in your mustang, but there are plenty of aftermarket controllers for fans if you are using one. The down side to using the 95 wiring (in addition to the wiring complexity) is that the computer doesn't like modifications without a custom tune. Has the computer been reprogrammed for your performance mods? Running an aftermarket MAF sensor without the curve being programmed into the computer is not a good idea on any EFI vehicle. The 95 computers calculate everything off of load and are generally much less forgiving than the older cars. I decided to tune the car myself with a Moates Quarterhorse and my experience has been that the 94/95 cars have a much more complicated computer and much less online support and user experience than the A9L computers. Using the 95 harness and computer is not an impossible task after all I did it on my roadster, but its also not the most simple approach for your project.

Good luck,
Wibby

· Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
I have the RJM harness in our Roadster (via MassFlo EFI). Ford Racing sells one, as does Scott Drake (Mustang restoration parts company). Any of them are a nice solution for an A9L type install. Just plug in the ECM, hook up a few wires, connect your sensors and actuators and you're done.

HTH...
Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.