Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have started wiring up my car with the donor harness and there is a bunch of extra wiring that I would like to remove sooner rather then later. However using the wiring diagrams found in my Haynes manual isn't exactly instilling much confidence in me as to what is ok to remove and what has to stay. My donor was an 86 Mustang which is slightly different then the 87-93 ones especially when it comes to the lighting aspect.
Anyways I was wondering where some of you got your wiring diagrams from?

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
I ordered both Factory Service Manual and EVTM from Helm, Inc. The EVTM is the Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual and that's the bible as far as the later Mustangs go. My donor was a 1989 FWIW. I don't know if an EVTM is available for the 1986 model but the factory manual should be.

Good luck! I finally bailed on the wire diet project (too many crispy wires) and bought an American Autowire Highway 15 kit.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I have the '86 EVTM in our collection of manuals. If you can tell me what you're considering removing I can possibly scan the pages and email or print them and mail them to you.

Mark

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be awesome Mark.

So systems I would remove:
-Power Windows
-Power Locks
-Heater controls
-Seat belt sensor wiring
-Windshield wipers
-Rear defrost
-Secondary interior lighting
-Console caution panel
-Door open/close switch wiring

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Do you recall where you picked up your EVTM for the 86? Helm, inc appears to have the service manual but no EVTM.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Ours are all from Helm, but we got them back in '94 or so...

I have '85-'92 manuals, EVTMs, and spec/torque guides, unless someone else is using them off-site I can usually get my hands on them in a few minutes.

Would you prefer paper copies mailed, or emailed scans?

Mark

·
BUCKEYE IN NC
966 Posts
Long and Tedious

I did the wire diet, or should I say I'm still doing the wire diet. If I knew then what I know now, I would buy a new harness. The amount of wiring that you don't need, and cut out is incredible.
AND - The EVTM (for your donor model year) is indispensible. I found mine on eBay.
FWIW,
Rich

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Bob, pdfs of requested pages on their way to you. Let me know if you need any other subsections or additional info. Good luck with the diet...

Mark

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I did the wire diet, or should I say I'm still doing the wire diet. If I knew then what I know now, I would buy a new harness. The amount of wiring that you don't need, and cut out is incredible.
AND - The EVTM (for your donor model year) is indispensible. I found mine on eBay.
FWIW,
Rich
Just out of curiosity, did you diet the entire Mustang harness? I just started a new thread about this, I'm worried I'll spend many hours dieting the EFI system and either do it wrong or discover a problem. Time is a concern right now...

·
Snake Farmer
10,390 Posts
Just out of curiosity, did you diet the entire Mustang harness? I just started a new thread about this, I'm worried I'll spend many hours dieting the EFI system and either do it wrong or discover a problem. Time is a concern right now...
Very little needs to be dieted from the donor "EFI engine harness", and this is only if your doing the EGR, TAB,and TAD delete. Otherwise leave it intact. Likewise with the donor tranny harness, leave it as is.

The main harness leading from the rear, has a lot of stuff that can be stripped out. Some items that Bob has already listed, as well you will probably want to delete the speaker wires, and SRS wires. The donor dash harness also has several items to be dieted, front speakers.

You mention time is a concern..
Save yourself a lot of time, (and potential grief), and do yourself a favor. PM Mustang Medic, (Chuck Field) and see if he has a pre-dieted harness available for your set up. He does a marvelous job, everything clearly labeled, fuse box cleaned up, relays installed, all connectors installed, all re-wrapped. Simply let him know of any options that you want, such as wipers, heater, back up lights, cockpit 12V power outlet, etc, etc., and he will do it the way you want.
It's virtually plug and play if your going the EFI donor route. Pricing is also very favorable compared to the RF or FFR harness's.

HTH:)

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
You mention time is a concern..
Save yourself a lot of time, (and potential grief), and do yourself a favor. PM Mustang Medic, (Chuck Field) and see if he has a pre-dieted harness available for your set up. He does a marvelous job, everything clearly labeled, fuse box cleaned up, relays installed, all connectors installed, all re-wrapped. Simply let him know of any options that you want, such as wipers, heater, back up lights, cockpit 12V power outlet, etc, etc., and he will do it the way you want.
It's virtually plug and play if your going the EFI donor route. Pricing is also very favorable compared to the RF or FFR harness's.

HTH:)
Thanks Bill, that's the name I was trying to remember! I already have the ISIS setup, I just pulled out the harness last night and saw some extra connections from the computer to the EFI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts