Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Already searched.

Has anyone integrated a wireless charging tray somewhere in the roadster? I am thinking either the back of the transmission tunnel or in the storage cubby.

Output device Rectangle Bumper Gadget Font

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I thought about it, but would need something magnetic as well unless you recess the charging port into the surface. vibration and movement would likely shake the phone loose off any surface charger otherwise. I elected to add a USB port under the dash for corded charging. I also considered adding a magnet cupholder in the trans tunnel, but didn't want to have an impression of a cupholder in my tunnel leather over time.

Reactions: zee and chrisarella

·
Registered
645 Posts
I bought a similar Qi charger that will be integrated into my center console (towards the rear of the cockpit). I haven’t decided if I’m integrating it into a recess on top of the armrest lid or under the lid.

I also have several other subtle USB port chargers to take advantage of, including one inside the center console, two hidden under the dash, and one in a rear cubby. I haven’t started on my interior so everything is sitting in a box waiting at the moment but it will be something I’m tackling in the coming months.

Here is the exact item I bought. It has a nice PU leather on it which feels nice and gives decent traction. Only cost me $14.99.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I too opted for USB port hidden under the dash. I also put a strong magnet hidden between the vinyl and dash aluminum so my phone mysteriously just sticks to the dash. :)

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,746 Posts
I'd build a wall around it and put it on the console right up against the firewall. I might even figure a way to incline it maybe 45 degrees so I could see the display better when using nav.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd build a wall around it and put it on the console right up against the firewall. I might even figure a way to incline it maybe 45 degrees so I could see the display better when using nav.
For that my plan is to put RAM mount balls under the dash in a couple of place. That'll allow me to plug and play a bunch of accessories. One of them will be a phone mount. It can have wireless charging as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My fear in doing stuff like that is phone tech is constantly changing. Phone sizes and charging tech especially. So perhaps a cutout with an insert that is replaceable. In the Tesla world there is a large community of people making designs for phone inserts/holders that can be 3D printed. So perhaps make a cutout that fits some easily obtainable inserts.

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Why would you want wireless? It's much slower at charging, taking almost twice as long. I think it's fine at home when you can throw it on, go to sleep and it's charged in the morning, but in the car where it might be in place for 20-30 minutes at a time?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Why would you want wireless? It's much slower at charging, taking almost twice as long. I think it's fine at home when you can throw it on, go to sleep and it's charged in the morning, but in the car where it might be in place for 20-30 minutes at a time?
Not always. Most USB chargers are 5v unless you have a Qualcom QC 3.0 USB, where Qi chargers are typically 10-12v. My Qi charges about the same as my QC 3.0 charger. At that point it is a matter of deciding if you want a USB cable dangling in your cockpit or not. I do agree about the technology statement in how often it changes, so need to make sure whatever we do can be somewhat modular to change with the times. Kind of like having a CD player.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
I'd put a wired charger in the storage cubby. Route an opening for the phone to sit in in some OSB, with a channel on the underside for the cord. Paint/surface the OSB however you like & you're done. Make the OSB a two-piece bottom, & then you can swap the bottom out through the cubby opening anytime technology changes underneath you.

John

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have both chargers in my cars. The wireless Qi chargers are great, but they are only 10Watts. That is like the USB-A 5v at 2amps. It is enough to slowly charge a phone, or to keep a phone going while running the GPS. In my fun cars, I use only 45Watt USB-C chargers. With modern cell phones, I am finding that the batteries last much longer. When I do need to charge, I just break out the cable and quickly charge up the phone. I use 45+ Watt chargers so I can also charge a USB-C enabled laptop also. In my house, the charge station only have 100W USB-C outlets. I tried the blue cables are for phones and green for laptops, but that did not work out.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I find that I use the phone as a GPS device on drives. Usually when I go on 100+ mile drives, I will plan them out and then track them on Google Maps. In the other car, I took out the stereo and installed a Bluetooth amp. I find streaming music so much better than live radio. With that said, I do not touch the phone once I am driving. That includes stop lights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.