Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys my old wheel boxes just dont work well, I ordered new ones off e bay and the sweep is too much 180* other than finishline is there a good source you could recommend? thanks, K

·
Charter Member
1,066 Posts
Sent you a message...

·
Junior Charter Member
215 Posts
If they are in good condition and are just slipping on the cable you can correct that. Had to fiddle with mine when I built the car to get them just right. Take the back cover off and check the clearance between gear and cable. If too loose tap the side where the cable lays. It may take a bit to get them right but worth it. Can't help you with sweep. Mine suck but will get me home.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi guys my old wheel boxes just dont work well, I ordered new ones off e bay and the sweep is too much 180* other than finishline is there a good source you could recommend? thanks, K
Try specialty power windows I have there wiper kit in my 38 ford, phone #478-979-4041

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,279 Posts
If they are in good condition and are just slipping on the cable you can correct that. Had to fiddle with mine when I built the car to get them just right. Take the back cover off and check the clearance between gear and cable. If too loose tap the side where the cable lays. It may take a bit to get them right but worth it. Can't help you with sweep. Mine suck but will get me home.
Same here.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I had the same situation with a set of wiper transmissions I got from another forum member. The gear has less teeth on it and I was hoping to increase the sweep of the windshield wipers. They, however, went too far both ways and would get caught on the bottom of the windshield frame and and then yes forced to jump some gears/teeth and that made the swing way out of sync and pointing down into the engine compartment.

The solution was to buy the set Finish Line had. At that time FL was more on schedule with their shipments.

Here is one source and there are others like Moss Motors that have access to all kinds of windshield transmissions but you might need to know the number of transmission teeth you'll need.

Cobra Restorers - https://www.parts123.com/parts123/y...~S61K0H2VF168681442761a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000027b

Does anyone have the number of the standard transmissions teeth so the original poster can search for those somewhere else?

You can also go into the windshield motor gears and change those. If you need to move on with this give Moss Motors a call and see if they have any kits that can change those gears while keeping the transmissions you have. Getting the right gear set up would be a challenge but I'm sure it could be figured out ahead of time.

George

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
You can also try calling F5. They upgraded their wheel boxes several years ago such that the new ones are identical to the ones Finishline sells.

John

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had the same situation with a set of wiper transmissions I got from another forum member. The gear has less teeth on it and I was hoping to increase the sweep of the windshield wipers. They, however, went too far both ways and would get caught on the bottom of the windshield frame and and then yes forced to jump some gears/teeth and that made the swing way out of sync and pointing down into the engine compartment.

The solution was to buy the set Finish Line had. At that time FL was more on schedule with their shipments.

Here is one source and there are others like Moss Motors that have access to all kinds of windshield transmissions but you might need to know the number of transmission teeth you'll need.

Cobra Restorers - https://www.parts123.com/parts123/y...~S61K0H2VF168681442761a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000027b

Does anyone have the number of the standard transmissions teeth so the original poster can search for those somewhere else?

You can also go into the windshield motor gears and change those. If you need to move on with this give Moss Motors a call and see if they have any kits that can change those gears while keeping the transmissions you have. Getting the right gear set up would be a challenge but I'm sure it could be figured out ahead of time.

George
Would it not be travel adjustment on the motor that makes the swipe to far?

·
Premium Member
1,233 Posts
The travel at the motor is determined by a cam. I suppose you could swap the factory cam for a smaller one, or move the anchor point for the cable, but it's much easier to swap the wheel boxes.

John

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Krusty, they work but the part that holds the wiper is chewed up and slips inside the wiper arm, I tried set screws but I end up breaking more of the pot metal that is the splined part of the transmission. New ones would make me happier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts