Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this question answered both ways. I would like to here from Mass. Cobra owners on this subject. I know I will never use them but do I need them to get through inspection or not???

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
No...not legally, but I have to tell you I nearly killed myself getting stuck in a bad storm without them.

Scariest car moment of my life.

·
Registered
365 Posts
First off I do not have wipers. Do I want them 'YES' and will get to that soon. As far as inspection... I've been told by at least a dozen people not to worry one bit. The local Ford dealer here in Plymouth gives them, the local inspection station on the other side of town gives them, the Dodge dealer in Hanover gives them so I am not going to worry anymore about needing them to pass inspection. One of the dealers read me the MA law as it pertains to wipers and it reads that you must have in working order the wipers that were supplied from the manufacturer. That same dealer said FFR doesn't supply wipers with their vehicles which is why so many places have no problem giving US a sticker. Now I know there will be that Hard Ass station that says no but even he if he reads his inspection manual will find it hard to disagree. Not to worry. I can't tell you how many people on this site put my mind to rest. Until the wipers are installed RAIN-X is the key.
:cool:

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
You should have wipers for the safety of you and others on the road . Should something soil the windscreen how will you clean it while moving. It happens ,mud oil,etc Inspection or not I would have them just to be safe. bob

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
It's going to come down to the "views" of the inspection station. I first brought my Cobra to one inspection station who gave me nothing but crap about every detail they could think of. I then went to another one, literally next door. They do a thorough inspection (found a loose tie rod end nut one year!) but don't bust my chops. I do make the effort and put on the front plate and a real kludge of a wiper that hangs on the top of the frame. The wiper looks so out of place, that it usually brings a few giggles from the guys there.

If you happen to get stuck with stations, you're welcome to come down and borrow the wiper and I'll point you to the station I use.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
When I was looking for my Cobra I was weighing to factors. One was new crate motor versus a 20K mile donor. Colors were the same and options were similar. The one I chose had wipers. They don't work for anything much. The downforce on the winshield doesn't allow them to be that good. My reasoning for the one with wipers was resale. It opens up your market to states that have regulations to have them. I don't believe Minnesota has a regulation regarding them. I would reccommend if you have the ability toput them in to do it. Easier to do when you are building then after completion.

·
"Senior"
1,123 Posts
I just looked at my 'Vehicle Inspection Report' and in the 'Safety Inspection Results' there is a requirement for 'Window Wipers and Cleaners-Functional'. I imagine "cleaners" is there because of the requirement standards of the year the vehicle is titled. Like stated above, it's up to the "views" of the inspection station as these vehicles don't really represent the year they are titled.
Jim

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Art - usually boating supply stores have clip ons. I'm assuming you want these for inspection only and would never think of using them. Steering, shifting, wiping - not a good combination.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
I had them....never used them.

·
2,863 Posts
Without wipers where would the police officer put the parking ticket ?
Like Joe says : I have them .....never used them
-Herb

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Manual clipons but only for inspection. Passed twice. Don't wipers scratch the glass

Got caught in the rain twice you can see enough to get to a destination if it's not too heavy. My motorcycle doesn't have then either you can make it far enough to fine a place to hang out for awhile. I do carry a car cover with me just in case.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts