Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Charter Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know others have used different types of wiper installs, i was thinking of using the kits JCWhitney sells for a CJ. It is a stainless steel arm with all materials including 12v motor. Seems like it would fit? Has anyone investigated this? I can't see spending 300+ for the lucas when you can acomplish the same for $200 less. The JCWhitney kits are $36 each so $72 would do both sides or the passenger for $10 would be just for looks.

Any comments would help!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I am using a marine wiper setup so no comment on the JCW solution. But be careful on a dummy for the passenger side. In MD if it is on the car it has to work. It looks like I can do just the driver side (1 wiper) and be OK.

Good luck

·
5,559 Posts
I don't know why everyone is so against using the Lucas setup! I pulled most of the parts out of an old MG at a salvage yard, and bought new stainless arms and blades form Finishline. I also bought new chrome bezels from a British parts supplier because the old ones were pitted from age. I cleaned the old grease out of the wheelboxes, and repacked them. Used new steel tubing for the drive mechanism with some simple 45deg. flares so they wouldn't pull out, and all is well. The system works excellent if assembled with a little common sense, and it is what came on these cars originally. Aside from the couple of hours cleaning, greasing, and repainting the parts, I'm into the whole setup for around $125! From time to time, some of the vendors (like Tristate) run really good deals on brand new setups as well. Why monkey around trying re-invent the wheel, when in the end, you may have spent much more money in aggravation trying to get one of those other systems to work, and not have a nice OEM look. It's all in the details...

just my $.02
Brian

·
Charter Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not against using the lucas setup, I just don't see spending $300 on that wiper system. The arms are cheap enough that i can still get the OEM look but use a different motor, linkage etc. What year MG should i use. What year did you parts come from.

·
5,559 Posts
To be honest, I'm not sure of the year, but I believe most of the MG's and Triumphs used the Lucas setup from the 50's right up until the 80's, so you have a pretty good span of years to work with! I went the used route for the same reason that you mentioned - I couldn't justify $300 for wipers! Being that the wipers aren't a "constant use" item (unless you live in Seattle!), most motors will still be good. The only thing they changed on later models was the motor. they went to one with a square body, that has an internal park setup (so you don't need a special switch). I have one of those, but couldn't get it to work right. If you call around to wrecking yards, just ask if they have any MG's. Then go down and look for yourself - you want the motor that has the round body. Get the entire setup including the mounts, and cut the harness so that you'll have the correct plug that attaches to the motor (you can splice it into your own harness later). Some of those British cars have a 3 wiper setup, don't worry, it will still work, you'll just have one extra wheelbox to keep as spare. You need to replace the steel tubing anyway, since you're spacing will most likely be different than the donor car, anyway. I would say you should be able to grab the donor stuff for about $30 locally. The only other expenses are the wiper arms blades, and bezels (if you need them).

Hope this helps!
Brian

[ April 14, 2004, 09:00 AM: Message edited by: B+L FFR 1686 ]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts