Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the wiper installed and was pretty pleased until I put the blades on. Before installing the blades everything seemed to be working fine. Low speed, high speed and the park function working fine. So I put on the blades, sprayed the windshield with water, called the wife to watch the first pass of the blades and to my surprise the blades travel only 90 degrees, instead of the 120 or 180 degrees that they should. Scratching my head on this one. I verified the wheel housing were gapped properly so they would not slip. Both blades are traveling together and park properly, so I don't believe they are slipping. It looks like the cable (rack) is not traveling far enough. Is there and adjustment for this? Can anyone tell me how far their cable travels?

· Registered
2,119 Posts
Lucas Wipers

I have been doing too much research on these Wiper systems simply because all of the issues I hear about them.

To answer your question. I believe that you have a motor drive gear set up for 90 degree travel. I believe you can purchase drive gears up to 130 degrees of travel in 5 degree increments. I am not sure which one you need but I believe your drive gear should be stamped with the current travel number.

This is an article that I found on Lucas Wipers that might be helpful. It is from the Erareplicas web site.

Wiper motor and wheel box preparation

· Registered
1,987 Posts
I did a search and found this link to a video of the wipers working. The video isn't mine, but the travel is the same.

Factory Five Wiper on Vimeo

· FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
Notice that on the video the wipers could benefit from a longer stroke. Most , if not all, English wipers were designed for right hand drive and skimp on the left hand corner of the windshield. The "wheel" driver inside the wiper motor is replaceable and they come in various increments with corresponding differences in stroke. Google John Hastings for an expert on Lucas wipers. I have a set-up from a RHD Mini (old style) and it is lacking good coverage on the left side but I am too lazy to make the change. Bob

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.
If I have the wrong gear, FFR needs to replace it. I didn't pay for a wiper that only works for 90 degrees. But, if this is the case they will make it right. They have always been very responsive for me in the past.

I did talk briefly with FFR today. One tech thought you could take the plate off the motor and adjust the throw. I did read something about this in a previous post that stated the pin needed to be in the outer hole of the wheel to get the longest possible throw. Hope it fix is that easy!

· FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
I tried to take the easy way out when I suggested Googling John Hastings. Turns out that was a useless suggestion. Try "[email protected]" or 757-833-3024. John is located in Yorktown Va. Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.