Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those who don't live in FL, AZ, or CA, what do you do to winterize your car?
I'll be using a battery tender for sure, but...

Sta-bil in the fuel?
On jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires?
start the car intermittently and let the oil warm up?

And in the spring, is there a need to prime the oil pump if you let it sit all winter?
Best way to do this w/o pulling the dizzy?
Can I turn off the fuel pump (on a kill switch) and disconnect the coil wire and let it crank for a bit?
Or do I need to do this at all?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I use a battery tender and sta-bil. I park them, clean and cover and forget about it until spring.

·
Junior Charter Member
166 Posts
As per post #2 with a full tank of gas. Also change the engine oil and filter. Park it with clean oil. Pump the tires to 40 psi and leave it till spring. Don't start it. That just puts contaminates in the oil and moisture in the exhaust will rot out the pipes.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As the others said! Full tank of gas with Sta-bil. Change the oil and filter. Spray fogging oil down the intake while cranking it over with a remote starter switch. Pump up the tires and put it on wheel dollies so I can push it as far away from where my wife parks in the garage as possible. Put the battery tender and car cover on. Unless there’s an upgrade or other maintenance to do, don’t touch it until spring.

Norm

·
Registered
390 Posts
Like above plus i clean the undercarriage and grease all joints then place in a CarCapsule to protect from rodents.
L
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the opinions.
any specific reason to change the oil before winter vs first thing in the spring?
and do ya'll do oil changes annually regardless of milage?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Since I have a 89 Mustang motor using conventional oil, I replace it every 6 months. I will not come close to the millage on that oil. In my hot rod with the Coyote with the full synthetic oil, I change it by miles.

I also laughed at the "for those who don't live in FL, AZ, or CA " line. My idea of winterizing out here is California is gloves, a jacket and making sure that the seat heaters work. One nice thing about the Cobra being on the noise side, is that you cannot hear the kid complain about the cold on the way to school. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
I change the oil as part of winterizing since i am doing all the other maintenance. I find it easier to just change it every year even though i only do 4-5000 miles.

·
Junior Charter Member
876 Posts
For my collector cars I fill up with ethanol free gas, air up the tires to 40psi and take the battery out.
Two of my cars spend the winter in an unheated garage across town so taking the battery out slows down thieves and allows me to charge it at home.

One year I unexpectedly bought another car and needed space so I parked my ‘83 mustang in the across town garage in November without filling up on gas or airing up the tires. It was supposed to be only for a few months. Life got in the way and I left it there for 5 years. When I finally got it out again I put in a fresh battery and drove it home, didn’t even need to air up the tires, but those tires were aged out anyway! So no harm was caused by not putting it away properly, but now I make sure to properly winterize just incase I leave the car sitting for longer than I expected to.

·
355 Posts
stable in the tank take the battery out and put it in the basement so it cannot freeze put some dryer sheets in the car in the trunk and inside the car put on the top and cover till spring thats all ive ever done 17 yrs with this one and 27 yrs for the wifes car , change oil in the spring like clock work . put battery back in in spring start up warm up to temp then change oil never have and problems

·
Registered
21 Posts
for those who don't live in FL, AZ, or CA, what do you do to winterize your car?
I'll be using a battery tender for sure, but...

Sta-bil in the fuel?
On jack stands to prevent flat spots on the tires?
start the car intermittently and let the oil warm up?

And in the spring, is there a need to prime the oil pump if you let it sit all winter?
Best way to do this w/o pulling the dizzy?
Can I turn off the fuel pump (on a kill switch) and disconnect the coil wire and let it crank for a bit?
Or do I need to do this at all?
Since you didnt mention Texas, I spray with SPF 50, tuck the cover in around the edges. Two days later I drive it a few miles bring it back and tuck it in. 🤮🤮🤮🤮👍🏻👍🏻

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you didnt mention Texas, I spray with SPF 50, tuck the cover in around the edges. Two days later I drive it a few miles bring it back and tuck it in. 🤮🤮🤮🤮👍🏻👍🏻
It snows in parts of TX🥶

·
Registered
1 Posts
thanks for all the opinions.
any specific reason to change the oil before winter vs first thing in the spring?
and do ya'll do oil changes annually regardless of milage?
I’m in GA and not planning to winterize, but do winterize the boat, so will share what other, wiser folks have taught me.

change in fall before you put the toy away so the oil is clean and free of contaminants.
change annually, regardless of mileage. obviously, more often if you’re racking up some miles.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,075 Posts
I live in Oregon(near Portland) and all I do to winterize "Ol#1437 for the last 21+yrs is to put good non-ethanol gas in, clean oil/filter and car cover in heated garage. No battery tender,ect, BUT, I drive her year round long enough to heat up the oil when weather permits. No problems (so far) hth just saying

Reactions: John Baker

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what are you all doing for rodent prevention? I've seen dryer sheets, bars of soap, peppermint oil as options.

Reactions: Mossterman

·
Registered
234 Posts
There's a product called "Fresh Cab" available on Amazon. Comes in pouches with a clean natural scent. Used it for years in all the toys and seems to work fine. I also have those ultrasonic plug in repellants. Jury is out on those. Once in a while "Larry" the cat will hide in the garage...never brought me any trophies however!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts