Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting my winter project list and one of the things I'm considering is upgrading the Pro Shocks I have with the QA1 kit that Mark offers from Breeze. The car currently has 600/400 springs, 3-link, with front and rear VPM bars, heim joints all around and Nitto 555 (245/275). The car handles great and is quite predictable as it was set up primarily as a track car before I bought it. I mainly use it for street driving and potentially the odd AutoX. Am interested in what peoples thougths/suggestions would be on this change to the set up. I'm mainly looking for a bit softer ride without sacrifing a bunch of the handling, am thinking the 500/300 might be a good compromise with the VPM bars? I'm also planning to change out the old MKII seats with vintage Kirkey low backs to get a little more room in the car. Thanks as always for the advice. Scott

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bert. I've been looking around online and so far think Speedway has the best retail price. But now realize that Kirkey is Canadian and are very close to us, go figure, do you know if they will sell direct? Regards Scott

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Erik, I read your post a few weeks ago with great interest and it's what got me thinking about the QA1's. Have you done your fronts yet and/or have any comments on the rears? Thanks! Scott

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,961 Posts
I would go w/ the double adjustable QA1s so you can get a real easy way to change the ride. RE springs. Stay w/ the 600s up front as they have the least effect on the ride.I would start by doing the rear springs and QA1s and leave the fronts as is. Go w/ 250s in the rear. You can always crank up the rear bar if needed to get the handling balance back.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Bert, this is too cool. I definitely owe you a couple of beers the next time we're out since this will save me a bunch of unnecessary shipping and duty (I'm sure the Canadian govt. would have been quite happy to charge me duty on a product made in Canada!). Thanks for the heads up! Scott

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
I was planning on doing the fronts....the 600's are I think too stiff now...but I have a set of 500 spings I wanted to try first. and then see how it feels. I REALLY like the rears. I set rebound and compression both at 8 clicks for now...seems pretty good. I will end up going full stiff to full soft to see the effects...for now.... I am having too much fun with it and now with my 818 build planning I am happy to focus elsewhere.... If you have rear bar I would probably go with 250's... the quality of the QA1's is really nice!

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Double adjustable or Single Adjustable QA1's?

Thanks for the info Erik. Hey Craig do you have any experience/advice with the double vs single adjustability? I'm wondering which ones to go with and was wondering if the double adjustable were really more track oriented. I'm worried about the potential to have too many variables with 36 (actually more like 324?) settings and maybe just end up making things a bunch worse? I think I understand how variable shock compression can help but don't really understand how variable rebound affects ride & handling. Also from what I read the single adjustable QA1's adjust both compression and rebound together vs individually on the double adjustable. Thanks Scott

·
Registered
563 Posts
I actually just spoke with Mark Reynolds from Breeze. He has the single adjusters on his car and is happy with em. Says that the doubles are really for serious racers and dragsters.

I'm planning the single adjusters, would end up chasing my own tail with so much adjustability. A few clicks stiffer for the tracks, click back for the road.

KISS principle (keep it simple stupid!) :)

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
AutoCross Pictures

I'm not sure this is "OK" to do but Pat Madigan just sent me this link to photos of the Breeze Roadster at its first Autocross at Ft Devens Moore Army Air Field. It was my first autocross in more than 11 years.

I was slow - but I was very, very happy with the way the car performed. Although I was not really kicking it due to lack of driving skills and familiarity with the car, you can see in the photos the car remained quite composed. We did 10 runs over a course that is in 2nd gear all the way and takes between 67 and 95 seconds to run. The car is 3-link with modified SAI Mod, QA1 single adjustables with 450lb front and 250lb rear springs, and the Breeze front sway bar, no rear bar. The spring rates are a non-issue. I had no desire to change them after the experience of the Auto Cross. The car felt balanced with no particular tendency to plow or spin out - but I never quite found the edge. Engine is 302 w T5 and aluminum Flywheel and car weighs 2183lbs with 1/3 tank of gas - so it is pretty light. If I was to try any other spring for the street it would be to go to 400lb/in in the front. Tires are 17" NT 555 245-45 front and 275-40 rear. This car is a joy to drive!

Gallery

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,961 Posts
Scott, I have double adjustable konis on my car and love them but the bump setting requires taking the coilover apart to change. I would love to be able to do that w/ a twist of a knob. If the single adjustables in fact adjust both bump and rebound at the same time they will be a good less expensive alternative. I was thinking that they only adjusted rebound but it looks like I was wrong as I just checked the QA1 site.

·
Premium Member
2,913 Posts
you can quickly adjust the double adjustables with a twist of a knob...you don't have to take anything apart.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guy's lots off good info and advice. I think I'll go with the single adjustable with the lighter springs. I'll keep everyone advised on my progress. Mark I'll give you a call in a couple of weeks as I think this will be the perfect Xmas present for myself. Thx Scott

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,961 Posts
Hey Scott, go to the Breeze website, click on the shocks,copy the link, and paste it into an email to your wife or significant other. I am getting rear gears this way and I have a catalog on the desk that she has put stickies on for what she wants. Been doing this a few years now and love it!

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Free Shipping on 1 swaybar kit from Breeze B4 12/31/12

We have one swaybar kit that I would like to move before inventory time. In a rare moment of "salesmanship" we will pay the shipping to the lower 48 if ordered in time to ship before the end of the year! This is the highest quality and best performing front bar kit available for a FFR Roadster.

For Standard width control arms:

Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing

Have Pin Drive width control arms - no problem:

Breeze Automotive Factory Five Racing

I can e-mail the instructions on request for anyone on the fence so you can see the quality and see what is involved with the installation.

Mark Reynolds
Breeze Automiotive, LLC
508 533 6455

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.