Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend Jeff was kind enough to stop by for nearly 8 hours yesterday to help (which is to say: "DO" while I cleaned parts and scraped gaskets) with my engine once-over. We tore it down to the short block, cleaned the pistons, changed the rod bearings (just a little copper showing on the uppers), installed a new timing chain, water pump, balancer, and rear main seal. Waiting on oil pump gaskets to button up the bottom, and a spring retainer to put on the new-to-me heads.

The 127k block is in great shape. Crosshatch still visible on the bores, no sludge buildup, etc.

Pistons all cleaned up:

Changing rod bearings:

New bits on the front:

New head next to old:

Most of the new bits came from Mike Forte who has been a pleasure to deal with.

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Mike,

Hopefully the heads and intake will make the extra power you wanted (they should). Be sure and keep us posted. I went out yesterday and fixed an exhaust leak, and installed my rollbar trim rings. I am now prepping for putting in my Quality Roadsters oil pan, and replacing my FFR supplied remote oil lines with some nice braided ones.

I think I might be doing a mass air conversion and some 4 into 4s here soon.

Best of Luck,

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds good Phil. I hope I get a chance to see your car next year.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 2savage:
Hey Mike, what are you planning for the rockers? Are you going roller?
A set of 1.72 roller rockers came with the heads. I'm running a stock cam retarded 2 degrees.

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Mike,

You and the wife are welcome to come visit us and sightsee Annapolis. Or maybe I can con my wife into driving the M3C up for Sigfest and I will drive the Cobra :D

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

My friends stopped by last Friday night to put the heads back on. First, here's a shot of the upper halves of the rod bearings in no particular order:

Oil pump and pickup back on. I used blue locktite for the pump-to-block and pickup-to-pump bolts.

A little more cleanup of the head gasket surfaces and piston bores and the head gaskets are put on.

The new heads. Jeff used the ARP thread sealer on all the bolts IIRC, torqued them in stages, then went back 45 minutes later to torque them again.

We did some trimming of the intake manifold gaskets, cleaning up the water passages. Opened up the ports a bit too IIRC (they kept the razor blades out of my hands to minimize the damage).

I was very proud of my intake installation studs, complete with a slot in the head for a screwdriver (the power of the sawzall) but the proved to be mostly just annoying, binding up in the manifold so Jeff just eyeballed it. We used the time-honored Big Bead Of Silicone gasket on the ends, BTW.

oooh, pretty. I installed the fuel rail and fittings earlier.

Finally, the 1.72 rockers. I understand that setting the preload is a bit of a religious issue. We went one turn from the point where the pushrods are just barely binding between the lifters and rockers.

And that's where it stands. I need to grind out the inside of one of the valve covers near the oil filler to clear the rockers and finish up all the other little details but the big parts are in place.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Double post.

[ January 07, 2004, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: MikeyRide ]

·
Charter Member
1,577 Posts
Curious about what kind of paint you used for the block, and the color.

Thanks

Geoff

·
Senior Charter Member
264 Posts
Hi Mike...I just finished doing the same exact work to my engine. I couldnt believe how clean the motor was on the inside. Hopefully we will soon hear them run....

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Looking good Mike, can't wait to see the dyno numbers. I am probably headed in the same direction as you real soon. I have to do a MAF conversion first.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Mike - it looks good!

Did you use a push-rod length checker on it?

I have not seen a set of aluminum SBF heads yet that didn't need longer pushrods.

It appears in your picture that #1's rocker arms are canted as they would be with short pushrods.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Cobraless:
Curious about what kind of paint you used for the block, and the color.
Duplicolor Ford Blue. The dark one. I prepped pretty thoroughly with my POR15 degreaser and sprayed. It's held up suprisingly well over the past year.

·
Senior Charter Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Big-Foot:
Mike - it looks good!

Did you use a push-rod length checker on it?
Yes, his name is Jeff.

Seriously, in addition to having built a dozen of these things he's an engineer with International Harvester working on the powerstroke program. Specifically in cylinder heads. He ran those heads/rockers for a couple years with stock length pushrods.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts