Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinions please.
When it comes time (which it is) to put away the car what's the general opinion on adding air to the tires for the winter? I always thought that radials wouldn't develop flat spots but many have said to pump them up to around 45 lbs. That means if I do get the occasional day to go out and drive either my tires will wear and it feels like the Flintstones car (rock tires) and NOOOOO traction, or need to bleed air and replace each time I go out. What your take ???

·
What Country You From?
463 Posts
If you're worried about flat spots, how about simply storing it on jack stands? A couple of pumps with the jack handle, slide a couple of stands under the frame - repeat on other side, and you're done!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,707 Posts
Yeah,I would do that but I have a compressor in my garage so it's easy to fill back up.Maybe it would be easier to just put it on jackstands for you.Or maybe there is a gas station just a few miles away so you could pump back up there and ease back to the garage.Good luck

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Not sure it would make any difference if you had 45 or 25 psi in the tires if trying to prevent flat spots. Years ago when radials first came around some brands would develope a "cod" flat spot from sitting too long but as soon as the tire was driven long enough to heat up they would usually go away. Don't think this is a problem with modern radial tires. I've let cars sit for a month or two at a time with no problems.
Only way to prevent a flat spot if caused by sitting in one spot for long periods would be to put the car on jack stands under the frame. I store cars like this more to take the stress off the suspension but it would also garantee tires won't develope flat spot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts