Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have access to either a set of GT40 or Windsor Jr heads locally for $300. Any advantage to one over the other? Both sets are in similar condition and will need to be reconditioned. I already have a stock short block out of a 1989Mustang and am looking for somewhere around 300 RWHP.

Other plans include the weiand stealth intake, holly 650 cfm double pumper, and mechanical fuel pump. Any recommendations on a cam?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,082 Posts
Trick Flow Stage #1 would be a good cam for that combo.:001_smile:
hth
Butch

PS
Where did I set my popcorn? lol:001_rolleyes:

·
Lifetime Journeyman
1,143 Posts
Head, intake port, combustion chamber, int. valve, exh. valve
E7TE......124cc............61cc.................1.78........1.46
GT40P....145cc............59cc.................1.85........1.46
GT40-Explorer 145cc.....65cc.................1.85........1.54
GT40-Cobra 145cc........61cc.................1.85........1.54

Windsor Jr 180cc..........58cc.................1.94........1.60

I don't have any experience with the Windsor Jr, but it looks like they would be my choice on an N.A. engine compared to the GT40; smaller combustion chamber (higher compression) & more flow than the GT40, Explorer or Cobra versions.

Note: Ford head combustion chamber & port specs are variable, these are averages. Here's another combustion chamber chart courtesy of GWL (George) on this forum:

GT-40 Head
’93 Mustang Cobra…….......F3ZE-AA…………….....60-63cc
’94-’95 Mustang Cobra……..F4ZE-AA………….......60-63cc
’96-97 Explorer………………...F1ZE-AA………….......63-66cc

GT-40p Head
'97-00 Explorer………………...F77E-AA………….......58-61cc
’97-01 Mountaineer…………..F77E-AA………….......58-61cc

Can't argue with Butch on the TFS cam. That, a pair of slightly milled/ported GT40P heads, and an Explorer intake make my 308 much stronger than a stock 5.0. Good idle and a wide power band from the bottom end.

·
Registered
434 Posts
With the Windsor Jr. heads, you would get much more from the upgraded cam.

Don H

·
Big Sky Builder
2,619 Posts
FWIW, I have a '90 302, running GT40P's that I cleaned up the ports a bit on, running an Edelbrock Performer intake with a Holley Street Avenger 570cfm carb and E303 cam. We tuned it on the dyno to 255hp and 286ftlbs torque at the rear wheels. I'm not sure how much better the Windsor Jr. would be, I got my heads for $100, so they were a good deal.

It's a blast to drive, and I feel like I can get into it without putting it in the ditch. Always room for more power, I suppose, but for a relatively cheap engine build, pretty good and good enough for me. I'm running a T5 with 3.55 rear end.

·
2,933 Posts
I have run all these different heads at one time or another. You will be able to make the numbers easly with any of them. In one form or another. I have made 300 hp and 300 ftlb at the wheels. with all these

e7te will require a good porter to get more than 230 hp at the wheel
the GT 40s are a direct replacement. also needs a good port match and matching cam good head
gt 40P make sure you have headers that work on a P head ford moved the spark plug and it will burn the boot fast if you use the wrong header. good head also can use a good port match and cam for the number.

JR's great head slightly raised port and relocated plug so again check for header clearance. can make the number without porting.

Of coarse all these combos are nothing if you dont have a good shortblock. You do not have to buy high dollar parts just pay close attention to the details while blueprinting the bottom end.
spend the money on good machining, and good rings.
I hope this helps.
Later
Mark D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.