Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there a reason you can't do it per the manual? Snug down the bolts, run a tape from the back door opening to the top of the window frame screw hole, at 27" tighten it down. Done.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there a reason you can't do it per the manual? Snug down the bolts, run a tape from the back door opening to the top of the window frame screw hole, at 27" tighten it down. Done.

View attachment 357968
No I typically follow the instructions. But all I had was narrative and a couple pics in my book.

Jason
Screenshot_20200328-233941_Drive.jpg

I knew there was plenty of stuff out there. Then I searched and not so much. I did see something similar to this.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Your right wrong version. I was using the right one a black cover before. For some reason I had a different version stored that I went back to. Wierd

Tomorrow when I went out to the garage and looked and my current paper manual it would have been there.

Sorry

Jason

Attachments

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,720 Posts
While it can't hurt to measure the height I judge it differently. Get a paint stirrer or similar about 1/8 inch thick and set it under the lower corner of the w/s frame right against the post. You want this clearance between that corner and the fiberglass body so you don't end up w/ squeaks as it grinds it's way into the body. BTW you want that same clearance posts to body for the same reason-squeaks.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
While it can't hurt to measure the height I judge it differently. Get a paint stirrer or similar about 1/8 inch thick and set it under the lower corner of the w/s frame right against the post. You want this clearance between that corner and the fiberglass body so you don't end up w/ squeaks as it grinds it's way into the body. BTW you want that same clearance posts to body for the same reason-squeaks.
Ok. Interesting. I will try it

Maybe these take care of what the paint sticks do?
20200329_105541.jpg

BTW my paper manual did not have the measurements either.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I need someone else with more patients.

Family members are not cooperating.

I will put that to the side util the lockdown is over and I can get real help.

I did open the holes and the arm slide in.

I need to take some off the arm so I can get past the frame and seat the frame.

How much can a safetly take off the arm?

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Of course it's hard for me to stop in the middle of a task. I have to figure it out.

I opened the hole now so I can get the screen in and out myself.

The screen sits 3.5 inches off the body.

I want to cut that much off the end of the arms.

Jason
20200329_115116.jpg

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
The screen sits 3.5 inches off the body.

I want to cut that much off the end of the arms.
Would you please let me/us know how long the arms are before you cut them off and then how much you end up cutting off to get it fully resting on the body.

Thanks, George

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Would you please let me/us know how long the arms are before you cut them off and then how much you end up cutting off to get it fully resting on the body.

Thanks, George
Np I did not cut them.

I opened the holes more and slowly making progress.

Give me a day I may not cut them right away.

It would not be much at all
20200329_122954.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So it will just be a sliver.

The PS. Is at the correct angle the DS. Is slightly off only because it is seated and the PS is not.

I am going to just trim a little off the bottom.

That will have to wait until tomorrow. I have to go to work.

Jason
20200329_130348.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
I measured from the opening down to the bottom of where the frame would bottom out and cut it at an angle. 3" on the long side, about 2 1/2" on the short side. Installed the windscreen. It sits about 3/8" too high. but, it looks like the holes I drilled are just a bit too low. I will slot the holes upward about a 1/4" after the next time I install the body and that should do it. Plenty of room for adjustment to get the 27" dimension. Next, I will remove the body to trim just a bit off the rear sheetmetal because the bulb seal is just too tight with the body where I want it. Funny how after reading the forum Builds, especially Jeff Kleiner's, he describes the "flaws" in the MK IV body exactly as I am seeing them. I also had to angle the cutouts in the body for the window posts. I don't think that's such a bad thing, as at least FFR is consistent in their manufacturing, but it is still kind of strange that they continue to mark and cut the wrong opening in the body. Also it seems like every opening cut by FFR is exactly about 1/8" smaller than what you really need. If they can be that consistent, they should just make the cutouts the exact size needed and that would save some time so that the builder doesn't have to trim so much more off what they already paid FFR to trim off.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ha. Yup you are right. I think I may also cut a little off the PS trunk to get the 1/4 inch I was told to have at the striker.

I just keep plugging away and try to remember all the things and advise people give me.

Jason

·
Not a waxer
11,768 Posts
They say a picture is worth a thousand words---here's some of both

The side arms get cut 12"-13" down from the bottom windscreen screw:

Set the angle by measuring from here...

To here:

This is the most important part of the whole installation---shim as necessary between the side arms and frame. Drivers side:

And passenger side:

This is optional but sure makes life easier; rather than drilling the arms for a nut & bolt tap them for a 1/2-20 and install with the bolt and lock washer only:

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thank you Jef. Getting ready to work on it.

The driver side looks awfully tight space. Tapping and a locking washer will make that easier.

·
Premium Member
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I feel like crossed threaded. It was supper tight. Maybe I'm missing a step

1. Step drill pilot hole to 29/64
2. Hand tape clockwise
3. Clean hole

1 - 20 of 33 Posts