Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's 2145 and I took a break from trying to find room for the wiper motor to study the wiring. Some break. The directions to the kit say "Connect the Positive-Always Hot to an empty hole in the fuse panel". I'm not an automotive electrical expert, but I'm thinking that the "pick a hole, any hole" methode is the safest route when wiring a motor in.

Specifications for the motor is 12V, running 1.5A at low speed and 2A at high speed. I'm running with a '93 Mustang donor harness and fuse box. I'm assuming I want to plug into a 6A fuse?

Now back to figuring out where to put the motor. I'm thinking of getting a longer cable for it and installing it in the trunk.

·
Junior Charter Member
148 Posts
Electric motor starting amps are higher than running, so I would go with 10A. Certainly any short would pop the fuse, so it would do what is supposed to do.

I bought the wiper kit, made a civilized mounting system, and ten left them off because there is no good place for mounting. Michigan requires ws wipers as well, but the local police that inspected the vehicle signed off without them because there is no top. Maybe you don't need them in KY as well.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
I used after market harness but used a 10amp fused circuit for the wipers. Wire from 10 amp fuse to switch from switch to wiper motor.
Can you use the original wiper curcuit on your mustang harness for wipers? Should be fused enough for these wipers.

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hind Sight,

Can't find the original wiper circuit. Chilton's is saying I'm looking for the only wire on the harness that's dark blue with an orange tracer. Would be just my luck that that's the only one that got dieted out.

If there's no extra spaces on my fuse box for a new fuse or to insert a wire in a spot already holding a 10A fuse, can I splice into a wire coming out of an existing fuse?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Possible but you need to be sure of the curcuit you splice into. It needs to be able to handle the combined load of the wipers and what ever else it powers. Also check to see if any other unused circuit still remains in harness such as power seats,a/c comp. heater motor if not being used,ect. Deticated cuircuit is best if possible.
In line fuse could be used to protect wipers circuit. Looks like you are searching on an already built car. Makes the job tougher not knowing what got dieted from harness.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
O Captain my Captain

if it at all helps you, consider hooking up just one speed for simpler wiring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts