Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a replacement switch for the Lucas switch that comes with the kit? Would like it to be a standard metal toggle. The main reason for wanting a replacement, besides wanting it to match the other switches, is that the Lucas switch provided does not have enough threads to reach through the dash, and be able to be secured with the mounting nut. I am also using dash labels that fit around the stem, which is just compounding the situation.

Rick

·
Snake Farmer
10,245 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Bill, do you know if that type of switch will handle the "park" situation that is built into the Lucas switch, or do you just have to have quick reactions and switch off at the bottom of the sweep? Also, would you have any idea of how to connect up the wires in this situation?
I am so bad at the electrical that it is causing me to doubt myself, and question every choice I'm making. There are so many things that I have questions on that if I started typing now, I might get all the questions entered by sometime around Halloween!
Thanks,
Rick

·
Snake Farmer
10,245 Posts
Sorry for the delayed reply, Rick.

My wiper set up is the simple one, using an on-off-on toggle switch. The switch center position is off, down slow, up fast, (You could also use an on-on-off one if you wished.)

I didn't bother with the park aspect. It's easy enough just to flip the switch off, when they are at the bottom of the sweep. Wiring it that way, is also very simple.:smile2:

Now that being said, one can wire some of the FFR wiper motors, (not the early one apparently), using a Lucas L-35927 switch, (or equivalent one), to avail the park feature. I question though, if that Lucas switch will have a long enough neck, to suit your thicker dash. There is also a female connector plug that can be purchased optionally, designed to suit the motor. Both are shown here.

Wipers & Washers

EDIT- Make sure Finishline is still in business, if you decide to order anything from them. One forum member was concerned, as he'd already paid for something, and had not rec'd it, or heard anything further from them..

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bill. Thanks for getting back to me. I was kind of figuring that as often that I will be using the wipers, (probably never), just switching off at the bottom of the sweep would be the easiest solution. Unless someone gets back to me with a wiring method to use a standard on-off-on switch, and still keep the auto park option.
Regarding Finishline, I just responded to the Finishline thread. I only live about 15 miles from them, and the Cobra museum in Martinez, CA. In just the past couple of weeks I ordered parts, and received them in less than a week. Oddly enough, one of the parts was the wiper motor plug! Also bought the wiper motor pad, since the clamp that came with the kit would not tighten the motor down to the firewall. The pad works great. Haven't installed the plug yet
Thanks

Rick

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am going to be replacing my old Lucas switch with a metal on-off-on switch in my Cobra. Let me work on this and get back to you.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
How about an upgrade to intermittent wipers?:wink2:

That is what I've done. I'm not on the road yet but it has worked well on the bench. In addition, you can make an original style knob work with a bit of modification. It also works with a windshield washer by pushing the knob in to activate it.

Cole Hurst part #75600-04
  • For one motor, 12V DC.
  • With dynamic parking.
  • With intermittent delay feature for permanent magnet electric wiper motors.
  • Ensures dependable control of windshield wipers on heavy duty vehicles.
  • Negative ground only.
  • 4 positions: Off-Park - intermittent range - Low - High.
  • Push-to wash one to three wipes after knob is released.
  • Black plastic knob with metal insert and set screw, with white SAE washer-wiper symbol.
  • Diecast case 2 7/32" (56.4mm) square, 1 13/16" (46.0mm) long.
  • 7/16 - 28 thread mounting stem 0.45" (11.3mm) long.
  • Hexnut and lockwasher included.
  • Switches conform to SAE J1455, SAE J112a and SAE J234. switch controls most two-speed wiper motors.
  • Microprocessor design.
  • Six color-coded wire leads, 5" (127.0mm) long.
Wiring:
Red – Power
Black – Ground
Yellow – Low Speed
White – High Speed
Brown – Washer
Blue – Park

I've written about this before but I don't believe anyone else has done it.

George

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brastic, thanks. I'm not in a huge hurry. My progress is similar to watching a glacier move. I'd be interested in your results.
George, I saw those online, but didn't know if they would work. Do you know if they have one that doesn't include the washer? If they do this could be a winner! I always felt living in the SF Bay area, intermittent wipers would be a great add.
Thanks guys.

Rick

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Rick,
Just don't use the washers and cut the brown wire off and seal it.
PM me with your email for pictures of my knob if you want.
George

·
Snake Farmer
10,245 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pictures of your...what!! Just kidding. Besides, I believe I've seen pictures of it on the internet >:)

Rick

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Pictures of your...what!! Just kidding. Besides, I believe I've seen pictures of it on the internet >:)

Rick
Alright guys.....so here it is again right in my hand too.....:x

IMG_7303 by George Ligon, on Flickr

The only distracting factor is the collar I had to fit at the base of the knob to keep it from splitting.

Now, please try to leave that last sentence alone. :nono:

George

1 - 12 of 12 Posts