Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the slot in the body be made wider so the windshield side posts are free in the slot? Right now the windshield side posts are tight against the inside of the slot in my body to the point that this causes the cowl to pucker. It looks like it changed the arc of the cowl to the point that the arc of hood no longer matches the cowl. When I had the body on the frame with out the windshield mounted I was Very Pleased with how the hood fit, but not now. The body is also spreading the windshield side posts to some degree and I am concerned this may in time create a problem between the side posts to windshield frame joint.

I have pretty much decided to open the slot up to the point that it will take most of the pressure off the body but before I do I thought I’d ask around to see if there are consequences that I am not figuring on. I am thinking in the range of 1/16 to 1/8th inch on a side.

What are your thoughts?

Jack

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
Keep in mind that there are trim pieces that the posts go through, before entering the body, so the enlarged holes will not show on the finished car....You might want to polish these before mounting the windshield.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys it is always good to have confirmation.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
Wojack,

If the body touches the inside of the windshield posts you will have a major problem when you tighten the bolts at the chassis.

The pressure it takes to put the additional curve in the dash area will over stress the screws that go into the brass strips inside the windshield frame, that could lead to the threads stripping out.

Insure that you have clearance on the inside.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I just used a file to open them up so that there was no contact. With all the cracked windshield stories I thought it best to have no stress on it anywhere. Like Mr. Barry said, the trim will cover the opening anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.