Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was trying to mount my windshield today and one of the side posts seems to be twisted.

Has anyone else ran into this? The screws were all snug and the rest of the post appeared to fit properly. The other side fits fine. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I had a silmilar prob, but it was my fault. I had the posts on the wrong sides! Before I figured it out, I bent the tops to fit. Then I had to bend them back. Good thing they're brass. They suffered no damage. What I'm saying, if you have the urge, bend them. But make sure everything else is correct first. Pete

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Don't bend anything. Can't you loosen the screws and align it?

·
Senior Charter Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can loosen the screws and put it into position but that causes the section of the post that bolts to the car to be at a large angle relative to the windshield and the car.

·
2,990 Posts
Is it possible that you got two posts for the same side. If you put the posts together one inside the other and the tops both bend the same direction then you need to call FFR and exchange one for the correct side. From the picture it looks like you have the drivers side but need the passenger side.

·
Senior Charter Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the posts are on the right sides. If I only put in the top and bottom screws it looks a little better. The alignment for the middle two screws seems to be off which makes the post twist.

Sure is shiny. FFR has been contacted. If anyone has any ideas or inspirational advise please reply.

·
2,990 Posts
Could you post pictures of the whole thing so we can see top to bottom including side posts and side to side.

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a similiar problem, but when I mounted the windshield the arms seemed to twist into place as I tightened the bolts to the chassis.

Mind you, I left the screws a little loose to allow for this movement. Then I snugged them up.

Maybe try installing and see if that fixes it?

HTH,
Ivan

·
Registered
918 Posts
I also had this problem, though not as bad as your first picture. It drove me nuts trying to get it to line up on the pool table. When I mounted the windshield to the chassis all was good. Like Cabrerajr said, mounting it twisted the side rails so the tops lined up perfectly. My side rails were screwed in to the windshield real tight but it still twisted in to shape.

Mount it.

Jack

·
Senior Charter Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is a picture of the side post.

Not sure if letting the bolts to the frame pull it into postion is the best idea. I'm afraid to have the assembly under tension.

·
2,990 Posts
You may already know all of this and tried this but here goes. There is a notch all the way down the front edge of the post. That notch is supposed to set underneath the front edge of the wind shield frame so the post is even with the frame along the front edge. The holes in the post are counter sunk at an angle meaning that the side post sits up against the windshield frame at an angle. If the screws in the post are flush with the top and do not set in on one side of the counter sink hole then the post is not angled enough and the notch in the post is not underneath the front edge of the window frame. Another thing you may consider is getting the stainless steel inserts to replace the brass inserts that the screws go in. That brass is very soft and with this much messing around they may strip out. Below is a link to a topic about that.

http://www.ffcars.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/083783.html#000001

·
Senior Charter Member
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So the side post fits in the notch when three of the four screws are in. The last screw hole, the second one up from the bottom, does not line up with the insert. Can anyone verify that the screw holes are all the same distance from the edge of the post? The one that doesn't fit seems to be a little farther from the edge than the others.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts