Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been hanging out here for years and finally get to ask a real question... yay:001_rolleyes:

The last thing I have to do before DMV paperwork to make it road legal is the windshield. Problem is when I install the side supports they are angled away from each other.

The frame mounts are like this: | |
but the bars are like this: \ /

I don't mind putting washers in to solve them being a hair to far apart but can I just use a belt sander and increase the bevel all along the bar mating surface between to the windshield frame?

Sorry if this is well known, all I've ever seen on the windshields is rake angle and various cracking issues. And if I just bolt it down the way it is it'll most assuredly crack.:(

·
Master of my Build
2,013 Posts
Just to clarify, the mount point on the frame is closer together than the windshield bars? So if you were to bolt them in, they pinch in toward the frame?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Post Angles

I believe he is referring to the post not being parallel to the frame when looking from the top down. The cut outs from Factory Five are somewhat parallel to each other which seems to be the correct position but the two posts are angled in towards the back when mounted to the windshield. We have been talking to Factory Five and they agree that it's not right but do not offer a solution. I am also curious as to what to do. At the Huntington Beach event we looked at several roadsters and most seem parallel to one another.

Hi guys, been hanging out here for years and finally get to ask a real question... yay:001_rolleyes:

The last thing I have to do before DMV paperwork to make it road legal is the windshield. Problem is when I install the side supports they are angled away from each other.

The frame mounts are like this: | |
but the bars are like this: \ /

I don't mind putting washers in to solve them being a hair to far apart but can I just use a belt sander and increase the bevel all along the bar mating surface between to the windshield frame?

Sorry if this is well known, all I've ever seen on the windshields is rake angle and various cracking issues. And if I just bolt it down the way it is it'll most assuredly crack.:(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CDXXVII, you nailed it. I should've specified that it was top view.

So no resolution from FFR then? That's disappointing, but not too surprising. I wish I would've known this when everything was delivered back in '11, I might've asked for a replacement then. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up with a gap underneath if I don't give it a little extra rake as well.

cChrisM, if it was just pinching I'd take them off, slap `em in a vise and bend. I'm not so hot on the idea of twisting them though.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Check the angle on the bends on the chrome arms as well, I want to say they are supposed to be 8 degrees. I know mine had more angle then that and had to be straightened out a bit.

Scott

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I don't have the pieces in front of me, so can't describe exactly. But there is a notch cut-out along one edge of the uprights that fits into the windshield frame. It's a little counter intuitive, and often doesn't drop in and set the right angle until all four mounting screws are in place and snugged down (watch the glass!). It sounds like yours aren't quite seated properly. It's not usual that the little curve over the top corner needs to be adjusted a bit. But the actual angle of the post to the windshield (from the top) normally should be OK.

Regarding the angle and gap along the cowl, make sure you have the windshield pulled down as far as possible at the corners. I'm assuming you have the bulb seal on the firewall, the body pulled down into place, and the splash guards (elephant ears) installed. All of these things interact to some degree. Also, don't be afraid to adjust the FFR slots to get it into the right place. Numerous times guys have said the windshield didn't fit properly, but after adjusting the slots it was OK. Keep in the mind the FFR body cut-outs are suggestions or starting places. Typically require some adjustment.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Edward, I'll double check the fit of the bars against the windshield frame. Right now they both look pretty tight and lined up all along the curve. Maybe looking right on the first try should be the clue that something's wrong:001_tongue:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have a picture later today. Repairing a screen door right now. As far as sitting in place, if I line up one of the bars correctly, the other is in the cockpit near the steering wheel so it's not close enough to sit in place.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,381 Posts
I agree Here...

A "photograph" of the windshield posts attached to the windshield and the whole unit sitting in place would probably get you quicker answer.
Insure that the posts are flat along the area that attaches to the windshield frame and attach them to the frame to see what the bottom legs are looking like. When assembled like that they should be parallel in both planes, front to back and vertical. You can also insure the most common problem, the curve at the top, is correct.

If there is a discrepancy the posts can be altered, bent, to correct minor defects. to see how much, clamp a straight edge to each leg so you can get some measurements about six inches to a foot apart in the front to back direction. The legs are long enough to tell if the vertical is parallel. Remember that the posts should be parallel front to back along the area contacting the windshield frame.

Insure that any bending will take place between where the post bolt to the chassis and where they contact the windshield frame. That is a space of less that 2", but should be enough.

While your are checking, make sure the posts enter the body cut-outs with out touching the fiberglass when they are bolted to the chassis plates.

Regards, Rick.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Here's a good example of the problem. Ignore the all too familiar crack in the glass.

That slot is aligned with the mount and that's a 1/4" gap at the back. I showed these pics to FFR and their answer was to stick it in a vice and twist it straight. Kind of mickey mouse if you ask me.

In addition the center of my windshield frame at the correct angle has at least a 1/2" gap above the cowl. Not thrilled with multiple elements of my windshield.

Mario

·
Plodding Along
2,976 Posts
Joe,

I know exactly what you're talking about - I had the same problem. There are actually a few issues with the alignment of the side supports, the windshield frame, and the body. One is what you're describing above, another is the top of those side supports where they curve around the windshield frame, and the last is the fact that the side posts (and trim pieces that go along the bottom where the sides pass through the body) are not aligned parallel with the body's centerline (Mario's post is a great illistration of that issue). Even if you get everything worked out below the body, you'll still have the appearance of an misalignment.

I tackled the issue of the "splayed" posts, which is the problem you're describing, in the thread found at this link: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/361442-windshield-reassembly-fitting-chassis-hoping-avoid-cracks.html

My fix was to use a press to put a twist in the side supports below the body so that the side posts are flat against the mounting point on the chassis.

And, to ensure that I had a solid mount with the load spread out as much as possible, I replaced the spacer washers shown in the linked thread with these solid aluminum 1/4" spacers. The spacers are drilled just a little larger than the bolt holes in the chassis mounting points so that the windshield rake is still adjustable. They are held to the chassis by a pair of set screws that go in from the back side so that they don't interfere with the side mounts.

This allowed me to get the side posts mounted in a way that the windshield can actually be removed with the side posts still in place and there is no pressure - in or out - exerted by the side posts on the windshield frame. Everything is in an even plane, except for that last issue mentioned - due to the shape of the windshield, the side posts are still not parallel to the body - they actually point outwards slightly when compared to an original car. But, that issue is liveable - the real concern is getting all stresses off the windshield frame and the glass.

Do a search on the Roadster forum for "windshield" and you'll get tons of great ideas!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chris, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I was hesitant to twist the bar and am glad to hear that someone has already done it succesfully.

Guess a picture is moot now, but thanks for all the input everyone. I've read all about the other issues but hadn't heard of this one until now. Oh well, more knowledge to keep for the next build, right?:wave:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bend and Twist

Yes, you can bend and twist the vertical bars with just a vice and a big crescent wrench. But, you should use cloth or rubber to avoid chipping and scratching the chrome plating. Get the bars parallel to the frame plates, then add spacing bars to the frame plates as required.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just used crescent wrenches until I liked how the window fit nice and easy and square in its happy (so far) home!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The glass will probably crack anyway... after I cracked the top of mine putting on the visors, I took the glass out. There was a nick on one side of the glass laminate on the bottom passenger side. It would have almost surely turned into a crack (unrelated to the one I created). Lexan and forget it.

The little nick appeared to be a manufacturing flaw... one that I have to believe is common based on all the other issues with cracks in the same place. No amount of fiddle jacking with the uprights will stop it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Invest the time now to get the brackets the way you like them. I didnt spend enough time on this when the body was off so it became very difficult to get mine right. I used wedge shims to compensate for the angle. The upside is that there is less stress on the glass and frame, the downside is that if everyone's looks like this \/ or this ||... mine looks like this! __ __ :D

·
Registered
696 Posts
I ran into the same issues...I took a grinder to the fiberglass to open the hole enough for the arms to fit without touching the body. Trim pieces covered the grinding. FFR does have a left AND right trim part. They sent me two of the same side initially. I used some washers to get the fit right on the frame. I did not want any stress once it was tight. I found if I had any stress it would cause the bottom gasket to move away from the body and leave a gap. I bet I spent several hours messing with the windshield trying to get it just right. it was frustrating.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I did the same and it worked great. I still needed spacers but they were parallel to the frame. Take your time. Remove rails from windshield, tape them up to protect the thin chrome plating and twist a little at a time. Reinstall and check fit. Repeat as needed.

I just used crescent wrenches until I liked how the window fit nice and easy and square in its happy (so far) home!

·
Registered
911 Posts
I ran into the same issues with my MK3. I learned a bunch working my windshield issues. The side bars mount the way they do to hold the glass on the car. The “step” on the back of the side bars sets in the grove of the windshield frame and prevents the frame from moving back under wind pressure (provided the mounting screws and snug). I’m glad for this as I was getting nervous about the thought of having that windshield in front of me with just a couple of small screws holding it in place as I go flying down the road. The down side is this puts the side bars at a slight angle to mount on the frame.

Like yours the side bars on mine didn’t align with the frame . This was something I didn’t find until I had already re-chromed the side bars after I grooved the driver’s side trying to get the top to align with the frame, so I followed what Chris did but I shaped angles on my spacers. I mounted my belt sander in my Craftsman Work Mate bench and was able to hold the spacers with vice grips. This made the project go fast enough. Faster than getting the side bars to fit.

Here is the link to my side bar issues.
http://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-factory-five-roadsters/433153-windshield-woes-my-journey.html

As for the body holes, I had to recut the FFR pre-cut holes to get the correct alignment and then fiberglass the outer edges back to get them to fit around the frame correctly. The factory holes were way off and at angles that didn’t match the frame.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts