Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I installed the windshield this weekend and we're not sure about the rake angle. I made a wooden jig out of a 2X4 as per the Motts Build school, but the rake angle using the 34 1/4 inch spaning plank is to upright. I can't drill holes through the window brackets as they will not line up with the frame holes. When I angle the rake more steeply the window frame bares line up with the frame. My question is, if I don't hold the rake angle will a top still fit in the future? I don't really care if the windshield is angled a little more, but I just wanted to see what was the standard.
Thanks and yes I did say my wife helped me install the windshield for fit. Imagine.

·
1,589 Posts
I drew a line with a black sharpie down the middle of each windshield post (lower part) so that I could see it through the mounting holes. I then put the windshield in, my wife pushed it down (make sure your center mirror is mounted since it pulls the body down), lined up the line with the center of the holes, and used the sharpie marker to mark the holes. When I pulled the windshield out to drill, if the holes were off center a bit, then I moved them to match the center of the post. I went with the theory that Factory Five put the mounting holes at the right angle and to be in the center of the posts. Looks good to me and both sides are even.

-Stu

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Definitely the FFR top and maybe the Whitby top have to be fit to the windshield by the owner. So, the top itself shouldn't be a problem. However, the side windows may be an issue because the windshield rake should match their angle.

For the FFR top, you can call them and ask what the rake is on the side windows (I have mine stored away in the rafters otherwise I'd pull them down and measure it). Also, the FFR side windows are made of acrylic so if you are off a tad, you might be able to grind the windows to match the windshield (not a good solution really).

If you can't get an answer from FFR in the morning, PM me and I'll pull down my top and do the measurement for you. Also for the FFR top, Capecobra just installed his so ping him.

For Whitby's ping Randy, as Donald suggested.

·
Registered
722 Posts
FDave, I've got a MK-II wit a APE top.
All things said it's a custom fit proposition. Let the windshield float, put thetop on and position it, then mark the lower windshield posts through the holes.
I've measured mine and it's 26 1/8" from the back edge of the top rear curve of the windshield to the forward edge of the body just behind the door.
hope this helps, Randy Richards

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied. DMW, I will call FFR and I,m sure they can get me dimensions. Thanks for your kind offer to measure. I will ping Chevy Cobra to see how he made out with the Whitby top as it will probably be the one I end up with.

Thanks again.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
No problem Dave. I'd go with the Whitby top too if I were you. Order early. Ideally, you want to get it installed before the bodywork is done. Mistakes are cheaper to fix in gel coat.

·
7,134 Posts
53 deg for Whitby Top, measured at side post. make sure you push down hard both sides to get MAX contact with body , it will lessen the water leaks

33 and 1/4 from back of cockpit to front edge of windshield BUT my cockpit edges were rolled, so not sure on rough bodywork.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I spoke with Whitby and was told that the windsheild needed to be set at 53 degrees.Whoever I spoke to was very helpful.The top has to be set to the windsheild angle.
Vince

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all of the feedback on this. Sorry, for the delay in response. I can't get to e-mail until late at night the following day.

Geez, there has to be an easier way - this work thing has to go.

Dave

1 - 11 of 11 Posts