Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Body is off now for bulb seal and some final work. About to remount body soon for last fit ups (windshield and wipers) and was wondering if anyone had any pics on how to install these.

Can I bolt the brackets in now with the body off before I try to fit the windshield or do I need to fit the windshield first to locate the brackets?‘

if anyone have pics of them installed and/or can step though the process, appreciated!

thx

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Realize that the windshield, with these brackets, must be set at a specific angle. I forget what that angle was but it was not going to work with the convertible top I had. It's been a while since I evaluated this but I did not purchase them because of that specific angle. I am going to be setting up my old computer, after a move from Vermont to North Carolina, which has all my old files and I probably have that info on that computer. However, that will not happen until the new year, 2020.

I probably have pictures and more of that bracket set up but again will not have access until after the new year.

George

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
If you're using the F5 premium soft top, step 2 of the instructions say "Set the angle of your windshield to 53 degrees. This is measured from the top of the door to the inside edge of the windshield frame."

I'm reasonably sure another way to get the correct angle is to set the windshield such that the the measurement from the top inner edge of the door frame behind the door to the center of the top-most screw in the windshield post is 27”.

John

·
Not a waxer
11,879 Posts
As John said RE: windshield angle; I set all of mine at ~27 1/8" give or take a fuzz:

I've installed the so called "quick release" mounts when customers have insisted---let's just say I'm not a fan.

Jeff

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so first - I don’t have a top but don’t want to rule that out.

And I have a lot of “stuff” on the passenger side area near the windshield mounting area that will probe very tough to get at which is why I was exploring the quick release brackets.

Was hoping to be able to install them to the correct angle with respect to something in the area of the frame with the top off and get the “correct” angle.

But seems either way, brackets or not, it’s a test and fit iterative process - body on, install windshield, Mark angle, body off, drill holes (or install brackets, body on, refit, check angle, redo as needed I guess.

i assume maybe an over sizing of the holes (bracket or not) to allow for slide degree of adjustment is prudent and then tighten it all down.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Realize that the windshield, with these brackets, must be set at a specific angle. I forget what that angle was but it was not going to work with the convertible top I had. It's been a while since I evaluated this but I did not purchase them because of that specific angle. I am going to be setting up my old computer, after a move from Vermont to North Carolina, which has all my old files and I probably have that info on that computer. However, that will not happen until the new year, 2020.

I probably have pictures and more of that bracket set up but again will not have access until after the new year.

George
Hi George,
These are on my FFR Challenge car. Here's the brackets on and off the chassis. It makes for removal of body infinitely easier. If you need more photos I can install windshield.
WINDSHIELD QUICK RELEASE.jpg
WINDSHIELD QUICK REL 2.jpg
WINDSHIELD QUICK REL 2.jpg

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff / is it possible to get an angle measurement without the body on relative to the ground? Or is that the 53 degrees referenced above?

Mike - on your brackets, is it as simply as lining up the back edge of the bracket to the edge of the slanted frame and can be as low or high as needed as the angle stays the same?

thx

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for my other post. I realized I had asked this question. Times gets away from me in this project.

I just need confirmation that the pic Forte posted for a non challenge car would still be correct. Ie Edge of bracket matches edge of the frame?

Maybe another picture?

This achieves placement on each side and sets correct angle +\- a degree or two.

I had mounted them trying to use protractor and level, but the 53 degrees did not place them like his picture, the. I realized the windshield posts actually have 2 angles.

thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I looked through this thread as well as the older original group buy thread and I am curious about the need for the trim kit as well as a comment I saw about maybe the windshield posts having two different angles.

Will someone explain better why it isn't a straight shot for the posts down into the slots allowing the same holes and trim pieces to be used?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts