Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search on this and most seem to have a gap/problem at the windshield post. My seal is very very tight to the body at each end post for about 5 to 6" toward the center of the car. At the center there is a gap of about 1/8". I took 1-3/4" off the passenger bar and it does not hit the foot box any more, so that's not it. The driver's side bar does not hit anything. Rotating the windshield forward helps but the frame holes would fall off the bars.

Is there anything with the install to make it better? Have not drilled the holes in the bars yet.

Thanks, Jay

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
If you haven't drilled the holes yet have someone push down on the frame so that the seal contacts the body along the entire length. Then mark and drill the holes so that they will be tight and pull the windshield to the body.
Todd

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Is your body completely fitted and bolted down? Do you have the foam on the 3/4 bars and bulb seal on the fire wall? Also, there is a spacer that goes under the rearview mirror, between the dash hoop and the body. Installing it can actually change your upper door gaps as well as raise the cowl slightly.
HTH
Eric

·
FFCobra Fanatic
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Todd,
The windshield is as far down as it can get at the posts. Frame was pushed down as far as possible. I have FFMetal's firewall forward kit, could that make a difference?

Eric,
The body is fitted and bolted down. Foam is on the 3/4 bars and bulb seal on the firewall. Don't find a spacer for the mirror. There is only the mirror and screws in the mirror box. Is the spacer somewhere else? Suppose I could make a spacer and see if that helps.

Otherwise I'll have to glue down a strip of rubber or weatherstripping on the body under the windshield seal.

Thanks, Jay

·
Moderator Ad Nauseum
18,585 Posts
Originally posted by Jay Bird:
...I have FFMetal's firewall forward kit, could that make a difference?...
That would be my guess. In build precedence, the bottom of the windshield frame should be what sets the contour of the cowl. And then you live with what that does to your door openings etc., and make those work.
I think your firewall forward kit is preventing that from occuring.
I think you have to adjust the FFMetal parts.

d

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Jay, I have the same firewall on mine and I had no problem with the fit. Trimming the passanger side is a must for all FFR's because the windshield frame will hit the passenger foot box. It is easy to reach in with your hand to feel if it is still hitting or not. Double check to see if it needs to be trimmed some more. If its close to touching in the middle with gaps at the ends, I think that you may have to lean it back toward the cockpit a little more while sliding it in.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey DougR,

Are you on the road yet?

The pass side bar has clearance. I've been fiddling with it all evening and got it a little better. The driver's side was hanging up for some reason. Got an extra 3/8" further down. Much better but still has a little air gap for about 6". Guess I'll try and get an extra long seal or glue an extra piece on the seal or the body.

Now on to the wiper's, needed in Az for inspection. Hope to register Friday or Monday.

Will be in Vegas Thursday and will give you a call.

Thanks, Jay

·
Junior Charter Member
26 Posts
Jay,
Check the "side view" mirror box for the "spacers" that are needed for your center mirror. I would not drill any holes until the gap issue is resolved. Does the windshield follow the body contour w/o the side posts?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,608 Posts
Jay,

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've been busy on the car every spare minute. I'm hoping to get registered Monday and I'm pushing hard. I'm registered for the Western Roundup and the car will make it's debut there. I'd like to make the cruise on Friday afternoon so I have to get it registered.

I guess from recent posts that you've solved the windshield problem.

Call me when you get to town and we'll get together.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts