Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started to install the windshield this weekend. The side bars assembled to the windshield frame just fine. Had to trim a little more off of the passenger's side bar than FFR claimed. However, when installing the completed winshield, the driver's side bar does not line up properly with the frame. The passenger's bar slides in easily and sits flush with the frame mounting plate. The driver's side bar seems to hit the frame as you push it down and creates a gap between the bottom of the bar and mounting plate that is about 1/2". It almost seems like the frame mounting plates are too wide for the windshield. I did a search and found one other builder that had a problem that sounded like mine. They had to put another bend in the side bar. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ken

·
Junior Charter Member
1,300 Posts
Couple of things to check. Make sure the body is centered on the chassis. If that is OK, you may have to enlarge the opening(s) in the body. Remember there are covers that go on so you can leave a little room for clearance. I clamped a straight edge onto the mounts and used that as a guide for the openings in the body.
Baron

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
That other person would be me...

I had the body opening trimmed out to a decent size and you could tell it was the frame pushing the brass windscreen sidebar outwards, creating the gap.

I have not bent the sidebar yet since our car is off at paint and not here for me to mess with.

I still need to remove the sidebars and add some purple loc-tite or a dab of silicone to the brass screws and when I do that I'll probably try to put that gentle s-curve in it that was mentioned back in my previous posting...

HTH...
Mark

·
Senior Charter Member
328 Posts
I also put a small S-bend in the passenger side bar to make it sit flush. The bend probably only increased the distance between the uprights by 3/8" or maybe a little less.
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts