Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well not much has kicked my butt more than the windshield install. Ok the gas cap cut the heck out of my arm trying to hold the nuts and turn the screws at the same time but that was a different butt kicking!

Installed the windshield for the first time on the unpainted car last night with the wife to be (maybe not any more) and here are a few tips/observations.

Make sure you take your time and have a plan. This is not a piece to rush or man handle.

Take a dremel or file and make the slots in the body at least 3/8 inch wide to allow for a tension free install. The bezel from FFR or the nice one from Enzo will easily cover the hole so don't worry.

The side bars have holes in them to mount to the chassis from the factory. Take the bars and put them in a vice with soft jaws. Take a sawzall and cut the bars just above those holes on each side. FFR says 1.5" and only passanger side. Take a little more off like 2" and do both prior to starting anything else. Drivers side if left will some day take your shin off due to the fact that it is just above your clutch leg!

Make sure you have the left on the left and the right on the right when mounting the arms to the window frame.

Notice brass slide plate and where holes line up. Hole #4 is almost 10% covered by the edge of the windshield frame. It is ok the screw will fit by it so dont go drilling or anything stupid that might break the glass (I did not break the glass but would of no doubt if the big tools came out Again dont manhandle it)

Oil up the tiny screws and follow the instructions.. #1 loose, #4 in and then tight, tighten #1, add #2, #3.. Go to other side...

With helper bring windshield to car. Insert into opened slots and on an angle slide her in.. :rolleyes:

With helper push the windshield into place up against the body to the point you are happy and turn yourself into a midget to get into the cowel area and scribe on the arms where the FFR holes meet up. On the Drivers side I still have the top of my foot box off so this was easy but in the final install the box is covered and this will be a bear. (Or take many Beers!)

take windshield back to soft work area and remove arms. Here is where trouble sets in. When you look at your scribed lines they will be offset on the edge of the arm. FFR says transpose the marks to be in the center of the arm. I followed FFR and had a little issue. Think about it when you scribed the hole your windshield sat perfect. Move the holes.. Move the alignment. After trial and error got it to work but use some thought here and do the best you can.

Put everything back together and put windshield back in car. Back to Kazoo the midget and now try to tighten the 1/2 inch bolts.. Caution don't use real long extensions so the wife to be can tighten while you contort to hold the other end. As I was in the fifth round of twister and in a position only a circuis freak could be comfortable in I realized she was rotating the big ole wratchet towards that fragile glass and I snapped! I could not believe what I was seeing. Not her fault but after hearing tap,,,click click click, Tap, click click click Tap I realized the wratchet was hitting the GLASS [email protected]!

Managed to get the impact wrench in there to do the job while she went to walk the dog.. She is a great helper just not on the same wacked level as us grease monkies!

Well everything in real purdy like only pushed the limits of those 1/32" tiny little strip me if you can screws 5 times. Don't try this at home kids the screws should not come out too many times.. They will eventually let you down..

It looks great.. Too bad I have to undo it all to mount the side view mirror and windscreens...

Anyone know what those smaller than small little tapped holes in the windshield are for?

JD
or
that is the question!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Excellent post. Will print and re-read it several times before attempting my first windshield install this weekend. I had printed a number of posts from the old forum dating back to 2000 and saved them in 3 ring binders. A couple recommended cutting the bottom of the posts parallel to the ground vs perpendicular to the post. Do you concur?
For Texas readers and maybe those in other states - I purposely registered my FFR the day before yesterday without the windshield. I have some misfire problems on my newly rebuilt engine and wanted to get it out on the road for testing at operating temp & speeds. In that light, I discovered that if you don't have a windshield installed in TX, you dont need wipers. This saved me about 3 weekends of time and anxiety so that I can now try to figure out what's wrong with the motor.
Eddie

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eddie..

By taking a little more off when cutting the arm will not go past the FFR chassis mount and the angle of cut will not matter..

·
Registered
860 Posts
Originally posted by EddieAshleman:
Excellent post. Will print and re-read it several times before attempting my first windshield install.

Neill

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
I only show my wife when things are finished...if she saw me in the middle of something difficult, she might want to send the car away due to it's effect on my sanity...

·
Charter Member
750 Posts
Hey Joe, your question about the small tapped holes in the windshield, if its what I'm thinking of, are the sun visor holes.
If you give me your address in Apalachin I can come over and check out your build sometime.We met at the Binghamton cruise. I am only about 10 miles from you.
Ergie

·
Rip Snortin Post Maniac
1,044 Posts
I believe the little holes are for the soft top hold down clamps.

You pretty much covered everything with the windshield install. Those little screws scare the crap out of me. 2 threads holding in brass. :eek: Did anyone ever make up a stainless piece for that??

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
The small tapped holes on top of the windshield frame, on either side, are for the visor mount brackets. Two screws per bracket, two brackets per visor.

The small tapped holes at the bottom of the windshield frame, in the center area, are for the center hold down bracket. This bracket will take some (most) of the vibration (shake) out of the windshield while driving. The bracket needs to be mounted to a frame member, not just to the body to be most effective.

The small tapped holes in the windshield support posts are for soft top hold down clamps. There is a "J" hook that screws to the post, two screws per hook. The clamp mounted to the top attaches to the "J" hook.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts