Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Windshield Frame Bracket - Really?

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  timp2 
#1 ·
So, I posted another thread a while ago about taking apart my FFR windshield and having the edges "polished" by a local glass shop. That step - for all of $20 - was a good investment in piece of mind. However, I'm pretty amazed by the way that the windshield frame is held together. The top and sides are, of course, one piece, but the bottom rail is held in place by two brass angles, with a pair of small screws on each side. The kicker is that these brass angles are inside (!!!) the frame and the glass appears to rest on them (?!?!?!). From what I can tell, the glass looks like it's cut short in those corners, so it doesn't actually have pressure point there, but I did notice that the weather strip had impressions of the angles and the protruding (more exclamation points!!!!!) screw shafts. I'm shocked that they didn't break the glass when it was originally assembled, but now I'm concerned about what may happen when I put it back together.

I ran the ends over a belt sander to take off the sharp edge off each of the angles and I'll knock-down the ends of the protruding screws, but did anyone who replaced their glass come up with something better to hold these corners together and avoid theses potential stress points?

Here's a pic of the offending part -

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
I talked with FFR today and they confirmed that this is correct - the angle piece on the inside of the track. It's apparent that the windshield glass doesn't go all the way into those corners. FFR said to be very careful, though, as their replacement glass is on back order for a couple months.

Here's a pic of the lower edge of the frame, showing the countersunk holes - the brass angle is visible through the holes. The reflection is on the side brackets that extend down into the body and bolt to the chassis.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
I'd sure like to see a pic of some other windshields - does anyone have an uninstalled windshield that that they could take a pic of the lower corner? If the angles aren't visible on the lower outside corner, then FFR was right and they're supposed to be on the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.