Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoa. I see the posts regarding broken windshields and I get a little puckered. I am at the point of assembling my windshield, ie. mounting the side supports to the frame. It looks like ther are four screws per side that thread into a brass keeper captured within a channel on the frame.
Here's my first dilemma. On one side, the screw holes are partially blocked. Not much but enough that those screws will have difficulty threading in correctly. The brass keeper is slightly off center in the channel. I gently tried to move the keeper over in the channel to free up the thread diameter and it seems pretty snugly in place.
Anyone have similar experience? I haven't tried much to correct this because I wanted some forum advice first.
Thanks!!
Harry

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
Try moving the brass piece again. It does move (up & down anyway). Also, be very careful not to cross thread the screws. As you know, brass is very delicate!

BTW, there is a vendor on the site that sells a SS piece to replace the brass insert.

·
2,860 Posts
That vendor is www.whitbymotorsports.com The screws you have on you windshield are 5mm. The ss insert that Whitby makes is 10-32. About $42.00/pair I bought a set to have on hand when I mess up the brass! :eek: Hasn't happened yet; BUT I don't know why. Just be careful. :(

P.S. It's also good to have a couple of extra 5mm screws, about 3/4" long...you then (add washers under the head, if necessary) start pulling the windshield frame toward the pillar. Replace longer screw when the other three short ones are in. Did that make sense? :rolleyes:

[ November 10, 2006, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: Mumblerone ]

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The screws go in in a particular order. Put one of them in just catching a thread or two, then start the others. Can't remember the order. If you don't have the instructions that came with the windshield, PM me and I'll fax or e-mail them to you.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Been a little while but like said they did seem to have a certain way to install since the frame is not perfectly matched to the windsield.Had to slightly bend the top in towards the windshield to get close enough for screws to start. Think I started the center screw then bottom then the top. Once started tighten from the bottom up. The screw and brackets are fradgile so check each screw si it threads into the insert before trying to install. Carefull when drilling the holes for the mounting bolts going into frame. Brass likes to grab the drill bit so be ready.And yes disassemble before drilling and cutting to length.

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All,

Mucho thanks - especially for the video, Kouros. I have been fitting my first sidebar and every screw is too long, so I am in thje tedious process of filing and fitting each individual screw. It's one of those things that makes you wonder why it was designed and built that way. It didn't have to be.

Oh well, the end is getting in sight and I'm ready.

Thanks again,
Harry

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
No one has ever reported a problem with the original sidebar screws being too long. The problems arise with windwing and visor installations, not windshield assembly. How did you determine they were too long?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My side bars were perfectly matched to the windshield frame. The screws were just right.
Don't take it personally, but I'd suspect there's a problem with assembly if you find improper fit.
The only part you won't be able to get wrong is the twist-angle of the arms going into the body when they bolt up to the steel supports.
Rather than bending anything, I'd suggest using the upper side bar tips to determine the fit, and gently snug the screws until it comes home. It's an unusual kind of assembly.
I used the stainless inserts, but I don't think it matters as far as how the side bars contact the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Get the Whitby's piece.....just do it. Brass....why?

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone.

Joe - when I tightened the screws down snugly, until they appeared to bottom out, the side bar was still loose. The video from the build school instructed to tighten each screw using two fingers (on a short screwdriver)until the screw snugged up. Then try to wiggle/move the sidebar. If it moves, the screw is too long and should be shortened. The outlined process is to file a little off of the screw then repeat the process, and to do so for every screw.
That's what I did and it seemed to work well. Typically, I had to file away about 1/32 from each screw.
All are now snug/tight and the sidebars are snugly up against the sides of the windshield frame. The problem is that the passenger side doesn't match well on top (not well at all).
I'd love to find that I have made some silly mistake (since nothing appears to be damaged!).
Any further thoughts?
Harry

·
Junior Charter Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All,

Here's a shot of the misalignment on the passenger's side.

????

Thanks again,
Harry

·
5,559 Posts
I had some twist to mine as well, but used soft jaws in my vise to twist them back to the proper orientation (with the side bars off of course).

Brian

1 - 13 of 13 Posts