Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the windshield arms supposed to line up with the two angled holes on that side angle at the upper ends of the firewall? I have quite a bit of angle on the windshield, and I am not even close to the bottom hole. Can anyone tell me what approximate angle the center of the windshield is supposed to be, when the car is setting on level ground, at the correct ride height?

Thanks,
td

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts
Tommy,
Yes, the posts should line up with the holes you are seeing. You should be able to center the holes on the center of the posts. It's really a two person job to hold the windshield in place while one of you marks where the holes hit so you can drill them. Are you sure the body is seated down properly?
The W/S is raked pretty good. It's 45 degrees I think. Did you trim the side posts? The pass side especially will contact the footbox. Maybe that's what's keeping you out of adjustment.
HTH,
Let us know how it's going.
d.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
4,494 Posts
Are you putting on a soft top too? If so, the windshield angle is set by using the plexiglass side windows as your guide.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Whitby's told me it should be 53 degrees at the frame to fit with their side curtains (their new top, don't know about the old one)
Joe

·
6,332 Posts
I installed my windshield Saturday and I'm not too sure this is anything to worry too much about. I know there has been a lot of discussion about getting the angle just right, but I drilled the arms, dropped it in and stuck the bolts in. Voila! 48 degrees and 33 inches just like John shows above. Maybe I got lucky, but I'd start with the manual instructions and go from there if necessary.
Frank

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NAGA - Yes, I trimmed the post so it wouldn't hit the footbox - Thanks

Bill - There will be no top on this car.

John - That measurement will make it much easier. BTW - that car is beautiful. Did you change the color of the wheel centers? I had mine powder coated black and the spinners polished - I LOVE them.

Frank - I think one of my problems is that I got the factory cut-outs and the slots are not wide enough. I wasn't aware that there was that much angle. I'll check the angle and measurement this evening and make the appropriate change in the cut-out so it can lay back more. BTW - did you have to make frame modifications for the 295s to fit? I'm also running the pin drive IRS and everything is pretty close with 275s.

Thanks to all............td

·
Jack of all trades
1,230 Posts
I got the body cutouts from FFR and had to do some 'major' trimming of the cutouts to make the windshield fit properly. Once I enlarged the holes, it was as easy as Frank says. If you haven't opened them up yet, that may likely be your problem.

·
6,332 Posts
Tommy,
Sorry, I left the body trimming step out. I had to enlarge the driver side cutout like ArcticCobra mentioned. Once it was opened up (about 3/16") the windshiel dropped right in.

As far as the 295-50's go, yes I took a pretty big bite out of the 2 X 3 to to get what I needed. I also slightly extended the rod ends on the control arms to gain a little (actually less than 1/4")more room. You have to be very careful with this manuver though because the amount you can extend the bottoms is governed by the remaining thread engagement on the upper. It's really hard to do this just eyeballing things because it will all change when you do your alignment. That's when you find out that the LCA's are out too far and the UCA is too short. Lastly I'm using Dunlop GT Qualifiers which are narrower in the section width instead of the BFG's or Goodyears which helps also.
Frank

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.