Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
new
261 Posts
grill and windshield

I polished the Grill and Windshield. I only polished the outer frame of grill left the fins the more natural looking. My body guy did that. Took windshield frame to polisher. Spent 150. It looks ok but lots of pits from casting and you can see where it is welded together. Different shades of shine, the more the polisher sanded to get rid of pits the more showed up. finally called it quits. I like the ability to touch up both if i get a scratch... But i think the windshield frame would look way better chromed.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Grille and windshield

I polished the Grill and Windshield. I only polished the outer frame of grill left the fins the more natural looking. My body guy did that. Took windshield frame to polisher. Spent 150. It looks ok but lots of pits from casting and you can see where it is welded together. Different shades of shine, the more the polisher sanded to get rid of pits the more showed up. finally called it quits. I like the ability to touch up both if i get a scratch... But i think the windshield frame would look way better chromed.
You might look at powder coating. They are doing a "chrome" powder then a high gloss clear powder over it. It is as close to chrome as I have seen without really being chrome.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I polished the grill myself and it came out looking quite good. The windshield is another story. The aluminum is in rough shape on mine. After a lot of sanding and buffing I've got it looking ok but as Stang Killer pointed out you can see the line where the welds were made and the two parts don't look the same. It is also full of flaws in the casting extremely time consuming to sand and polish. I think I should have had the thing chromed or powdercoated.

·
Senior Charter Member
794 Posts
I had my grill polished for $200 and the windshield surround is being powder coated with Extreme Chrome coat for $125.
How did the windshield come out? Any pics?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Power Coat Windshield Frame

The Chrome Coat powder coating did not take well to the windshield frame. They put it through the process 4 times and it still had small pin holes in the coating, created by gases escaping from the aluminum casting when put under the heat during the process. They said there wasn't anything they could do to make it come out smooth because of the escaping gases in the metal during the heating process. At least they didn't charge me for there efforts. Now I'm thinking of painting it the same color as the car.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.