Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got the windshield installed and it looks great! The posts turned out fine - just needed to extend the body slots a hair.

So I noticed that at the top, if I grab a hold and jiggle the windshield frame, it's a little bit flexy up at the top. Especially in the middle (of the windshield frame at the top). I'm talking about just a tiny bit of flex evident. Very solid at the bottom, but as you go up, a slight amount of flex. Is this normal?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
That's normal, but as RacerX says, don't use the windsield as a brace or handle to get in and out of the car. The brass strips that connect the windshield assembly to the side posts can not take that kind of abuse for very long. I'm careful to remind all passengers to "NOT GRAB THE WINDSHIELD when they get in and out of the car. Oh, and watch out for the sidepipes too". :D

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
my original glass windshield has endured 30K street miles, 1200 autocross runs, some with wheel hop so violent the windshield flopped back and forth like a fan. the base of it moved a good 3/8 inch back and forth on the body (you can see where the rubber strip rubs). never had a problem.

i would be wary of restricting the movement with a bar- it looks like it will just prevent it from moving in one dimension putting additional stress on it.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
Normal. Just don't try to put too much flex as it will crack.

·
Charter Member
1,249 Posts
One thing that I noticed with mine is that depending on the angle of the windshield it will tighten up due to it fitting better with the bow of the body. In other words, because the body is convex when you look at (goes up in the middle) and the bottom of the windshield is convex, they fit together best at a certain angle.

I recall that I ended up loosening up the windshield bolts a bit and moved the windshield back and forth a bit till I found the tight spot.

Depending on how much movement you are experiencing, I bet this will tighten it up for you. On mine, I can grab the windshield at the top and it barely will flex at all. I remember before adjustment it flexed quite a bit and moved under hard throttle.

Another thing to look at is the weatherstrip between the windshield and the body. Is it fitting tight in the corners? If it is not, it probably means that the windshield is not pushed down enough which can differ depending on the angle of it.

Good luck.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input, guys. I feel pretty good about it being in the sweet spot against the body. The flex is actually very small and at the base it's quite solid actually.

Either way, it's probably a good idea not to use the windshield for any Dukes of Hazard moves as Racer X mentioned.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
You will also find it flexes back quite a bit at 120 plus mph. Kinda scary. Haven't heard of one coming apart but it's crossed my mind.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
As others have already stated it is similar on all cars. I had a great track day 3 summers back at Watkins Glen and was finally able to go up to speed. As I did I thought of many things like, what bolts did I forget to tighten, will my brakes stop me before hitting that blue guard rail and for pete sake this windshield is going to cut my head off.. All worked out just fine except for the cling on meatballs that flew off on lap 3 most likely due to user eror on install (new set has been on since)..
The scary part of that windshield is that you ask those tiny little brass screws to do so much.. don't think about it and you will be fine.. ;-0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.