Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charter Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first, do i want them? 2nd do i want plastic or glass. glass is more, but price aside, is glass too heavy? plastic too easy to scratch? can i use the round clip on mirrors with wind wings? thanks for any help. john

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Like everything else on this car , you do the best you can with the money you have....If money is no problem , the glass are nicer....
The plastic is , well , plastic....the weight difference is negligable.
I don't know about the mirrors , but the wind wings look really cool.

·
The Traveler
3,100 Posts
I've replaced 2 pair of windwings over the years/miles. As I drive along I keep thinking about glass ones. I have always replaced the plastic ones with plastic - they do scratch - rather easily. Mine get scratched as they rub on the side curtains when I have the soft top on. BUT when they do crack they just crack. They tend to crack where the screws go through them. Slowly at first weakening the area around the screw, then when they will crack at the bottom.

Now glass will not scratch, but I just have not convinced myself to use glass. I think about the glass cracking... and get more nervious! I just replaced my windwings after my trip to Calif, where I cracked the driver side one. So have been thinking about it recently.

As for mounting a clip on mirror to the windwings - I don't think that will work well. The windwings are move a lot from the wind. Nothing you can do will stop that so the mirror will not be very stable.

·
3,645 Posts
get the Lexan ones that Wurf makes. do search under lexan

·
Senior Charter Member
699 Posts
Ditto what NFS said, Wurf's wings are the only non-glass ones that hold up. I went through 2 sets of Plexiglass ones which both cracked. Wurf makes his out of Lexan. So far no cracks.

·
Charter Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
phil ; i tried lexan and wurf. wurf came up in german , lexan up for full sheets. any other way to find wurf ? sounds like the way to go.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,056 Posts
The hardware is difficult to fabricate.

But the wind wing itself is easy to make.

I used some scrap from an airplane window. Draw. Cut. File. Sand. Drill. Voila! Cost: two hours labor/fun. Worked great.

·
Daily Driver since 2/03
995 Posts
If you go plastic, then be very gentle with the screws that hold it on. I put mine on and the next morning the plastic had cracked around every screw. I switched to glass and have no problems with it. I even have a small rock chip in one. I imagine the plastic ones would have scratched as easily as my plastic sun visors do. But dark and shady is not as noticable as clear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts